Did my IPA carb too quickly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradgunkie

Reaction score
I just bottled a Chinnok IPA from Northern Brewer last Sunday. I have to admit that I didn't check the gravity over three days, but the gravity at bottling time was 1.011 and have been in the fermentor for three weeks (OG was 1.052). I carbed with 4 oz. of corn sugar. The bottles sat in my basement for 6 days at around 68 degrees.

I chilled a bottle this morning and decided to open it up this afternoon to check on the carbonation. I heard a loud hiss of CO2, and the beer poured with a perfect amount of carbonation. The beer tastes fine, but it does taste a little green.

Is it out of the ordinary for a beer to carbonate this quickly? I'm worried that if I leave the bottles to condition at room temp. they may overcarbonate, or explode. What do you think I should do?

I'm thinking of chilling a few more bottles and checking a to see if I get the same results. If they come back perfectly carbonated as well, should I just chill the whole batch, or should I condition them at room temp. and hope they don't explode?

Would have been better to check FG over 48-72 hours. But the FG you state could be accurate. And after 3 weeks, it likely is.

Carbonation can occur in days to weeks. So, it's not abnormal. I'd leave them be. Just take precautions (in the event that) you bottled too early... i.e. so that if they explode, they won't hurt anyone. And next time be sure you are at FG.

What part are you worried about? 3 weeks in primary, FG 1.011, carbonated in about a week:confused:.

Nothing to see here folks, move along and RDWHAHB.:mug:

Back