Did my first overnight mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I wanted to brew last Saturday but I knew I'd be a little pressed for time as we had a commitment for lunch. So I decided to try my first overnight mash to see if it might be a viable option for my beers in the future.

So Friday night, I heated my water, milled my grains, and doughed in a pale ale in my 48qt Coleman cooler mash tun set up indoors (it was below 0° F Friday night). I covered the grain bed with aluminum foil, wrapped cling wrap around the lid edges (didn't really stick that well), then I covered it with a blanket, and finally an old sleeping bag. Mash temperature was a pretty consistent 155° throughout the grain bed.

The next morning, 10 hours later, the temperature had dropped to 140° F. I'd only lost 15 degrees, which I figured was pretty good for 10 hours. I recirculated until clear while heating my sparge water, then proceeded with my brew day as normal.

A couple of things I noticed that I'm concerned about. The wort colour seemed considerably darker than I expected - is that a side effect of such a long mash, or would it be totally unrelated? Also, I checked my mash pH, and it came in around 4.2, which seems awfully low to me. Is that something to be worried about, or is lower safe and only higher values worrisome? I checked it twice, using those little matchstick-shaped single-use sampling strips.

The wort smelled great and it's fermenting away now at 63.5° F (wort temperature, US-05 yeast). I can't wait to see how this one turns out. :)

Let us know how this turns out! Darker color seems logical. Don't know about the ph. Mitch Steele said at AB they would mash bud lite for like 6 hours at 145 or something like that.

I want to see how this affects your attenuation and mouthfeel. Subscribed.

I've done a few overnight mashs. The temperature would range from 150 to 140. The beers turned out fine.

This is interesting and something I have thought of but only in passing. Brew days can be long and splitting them up would be great. Gonna have to do some Google-Fu and do some research.

This is interesting and something I have thought of but only in passing. Brew days can be long and splitting them up would be great. Gonna have to do some Google-Fu and do some research.

Wait! What?? Yesterday I washed and dried a load of clothes, bottled a batch of beer, made another batch and it was only a little after noon. What are you doing wrong to get long brew days? :cross::D

Wait! What?? Yesterday I washed and dried a load of clothes, bottled a batch of beer, made another batch and it was only a little after noon. What are you doing wrong to get long brew days? :cross::D

It think I can speak for many that usually have long brew days by saying equipment makes all the difference. It might take me 40 minutes just to get my mash water to temp. Mash time is what it is no matter the equipment. Now I have to get the spRge water ready. If I am using a cooler for the mash it's not as big a deal as when I temperature mash in my homemade keg kettle. Doing the latter requires the burner my keg has been sittin on for an hour and another huge pot or kettle of some sort. Now I have to wait another 40+ minutes for the sparge water to come up to temp.
That's ready, now my mash temp has dropped in my keg. So, I heat it back up to about 170 and can begin the sparge. Oh, I don't have anything fancy there either.

After that long process I can clean the grains out of my keg and replace them with the wort for a 60 minute boil. And don't forget that I have a crappy burner, so it will take maybe an hour to get it up to boil.

Other than that, it goes pretty fast.

Latest posts

Back