Did I screw up or save my homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angus MacDonald

Reaction score
Good Afternoon folkies.

Been a while since I posted on here but I've come across an issue in my fermentation process and I'm seeking comfort and assurance that my fix wont destroy the brew. I'm making a lemon and lime beer that has a light crystal malt base with the OG registering at 1.048. It's been fermenting for a week and I've not seen the usual tell tale signs that the yeast is happy.

So today, I did what I normally would never do. I opened her up early. There was little sign of yeast activity. A few tiny blobs of foam floating on the surface but nowhere near what I'd expect to see. Disaster had struck and it was looking like the pH of the fresh lemon and lime juice, though heavily diluted, had destroyed this brew. Now this yeast I had prepped in a solution of warm water, sugar and some of the lemon/lime mix to get them used to acid and the yeast was foaming healthily when pitched 24 hours later but it is yeast that I haven't used in a long time. I took a measurement of the gravity and there has been some action from the yeast but nowhere near what I'd expect as the gravity was now registering as 1.038. The yeast is not yet dead but it's slipping away into the night.

So here's where I look for the comfort and judgement on whether I've saved this batch or not. I happened to have a sachet of Saflager-s23 dry lager yeast to hand and desperate to try and save the brew, I pitched it in to the brew. 2 -3 minutes later and I could see that the yeast was happily foaming as I'd expect so I sealed it up properly and now I hope.

My worry is that I'm now using two different strains of yeast here and it might cause issues, what do you guys reckon? I'll post the recipe if needed for further judgement if required.

Last edited:
I'm making a lemon and lime beer that has a light crystal malt base with the OG registering at 1.048.

Are you saying that crystal malt is the only malt in this? If so, crystal malts are not very fermentable.

Are you saying that crystal malt is the only malt in this? If so, crystal malts are not very fermentable.

It's what I had to hand. I use the pale crystal malt with roasted barley when making Scottish 80/- and this should provide a clean malty flavour. Or atleast that's the hypothesis anyway.

Apart from the sugars in the lime/lemon juice and the malt, I also added 2kg of sugar to the mix so there 's plenty for the yeast to munch.

Last edited:
Missed the crystal part. With no base malt conversion would be low, the OG was bumped by the sugar. All crystal malt would make the beer very sweet, the sugar will ferment it drier. It may balance out, but now I say that you will get beer. Whether it is OK will be determined when it finishes. It should ferment out, but how good it will be is questionable.

How about posting the actual grain bill...

Cheers!

There wasn't much to the bill tbh, rather minimal really. I didn't have much malt left so I stuck in what I did have. It's enough to be there without being overpowering hopefully. Basically I lumped the malt in some muslin cloth, tied it off and boiled it in the bag with about 2L of water give or take.

This is only a small brew of 15L overall since almost all of my empty bottles are in storage. I didn't foresee lockdown when I put them there over winter and somehow I don't think I can convince the police that grabbing empties is essential travel.

The very basic bill:
500g pale crystal malt

Additions:
1L lemon juice
300ml lime juice
(the two above ingredients should be enough to replace hops as the bitter part)
2kg sugar.

Missed the crystal part. With no base malt conversion would be low, the OG was bumped by the sugar. All crystal malt would make the beer very sweet, the sugar will ferment it drier. It may balance out, but now I say that you will get beer. Whether it is OK will be determined when it finishes. It should ferment out, but how good it will be is questionable.

I'm using the lemon/lime juice to replace the role of hops in this. As well as add flavour of course. It's an experimental recipe I came up with on the fly to use up the ingredients I had to hand before they went stale. I'll have to see how it comes out in a couple of weeks and see how much I need to backsweeten it, if at all.

I'm hoping it tastes nice but experiments will as experiments do. Experimental brew goes brrrrrr after all.

I think you will get a lot by reading the Skeeter Pee thread. It has a lot of info about the interactions of yeast and lemon juice.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/skeeter-pee.199385/

I'll check it out, thanks. I gotta say that the dry lager yeast I sprinkled in started foaming up straight away and I can now visibly see that CO2 is being produced, so it'd be interesting to see how that would work with this.

The "light crystal" attenuation will be somewhere under 50% - maybe even 40% depending on the actual Lovibond rating.
Meanwhile the sugar should be totally reduced to CO2 and ethanol.
Who knows where the net ABV ends up, but maybe this concoction won't be too bad :)

Cheers!

Firstly, you aren't making beer - not by most definitions around the world, anyway. I'd be surprised if it tastes at all malty, but who knows.....

There are two issues for the yeast to overcome - firstly the pH (as you mentioned). Lemon juice has a pH in the 2-3 range, which is too low for brewers yeast to ferment. The actual pH of your 'beer' will be a bit higher because of the crystal malt. I don't know by how much. I'd suggest adding a half teaspoon of bicarb soda (baking soda) to bump it up a bit - Sodium works well with acidity too.

The second issue is lack of nutrients. Sugar doesn't provide any of the micronutrients needed by yeast so you'll end up with a slow, sluggish and unhealthy ferment. If you have yeast nutrient on hand, add a couple of teaspoons (dissolve in hot boiled water first). Household/supermarket alternatives that can work are molasses (up to a couple of tablespoons); boiled bread yeast; vitamin B tablets; or tomato paste. Check out some cider nutrient threads, to see what they add as nutrients.

Don't know if anyone is still interested but I decided to stop the fermentation at 1.010SG. Rounds out at roughly 5% abv. Sweet with bitter notes to taste but I think it could be a touch sweeter, probably use honey for backsweetening.

Nice colour though.

Bottled today, pic is just from the hydrometer test.
IMG_20200601_111628.jpg

Back