Did I screw up my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigelow92

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just ran my first batch of cider 2 days ago, and it is currently in primary fermentation. I'm using bread yeast, and a sanitized balloon with a few tiny pinholes poked in it. I was really really careful with sanitization, and I spray the balloon with star san every morning, but the closet the carboy is sitting in is producing some pretty funky smells, and there are a few small black chunks floating in the top of the cider. I used 100% pasteurized juice, and cooked up some finely chopped apples with brown sugar and threw them in while boiling the juice.

I'm hoping its not a total waste, but I dont wanna drink poisonous cider, and it definitely smells a little funny. any advice guys?

You will be fine tasting it, although not sure it is going to taste that great. With the amount of alcohol present nothing in there is going to harm you, but use your judgement if it smells horrendous. You might be getting some funky smells from the bread yeast. Bread Yeast is not the best use for making cider or beer. Spend a few bucks more next time and use a dry ale yeast.

Back