did i screw up my batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjberquist

Reaction score
hey guys im new the forum and home brewing,
i just brewed my first batch of a wheat 5 days ago and today i was checking the gravity and accidentally dropped bottle filler tool thing haha into the carboy and i couldnt get it out so i dumped the brew back into the sanitized brew bucket, fished out the tool than siphoned the brew back into the carboy... did i stir up to much stuff?? should it clear back up with sediment on the bottom?? its almost done fermenting i think , the hydrometer readings have been dropping only 2 per day.any help would be appreciated thanks in advanced!

Well, it will be hard to tell if anything will go wrong because of what happened. However, you've exposed the beer to a lot of oxygen after the fermentation which might cause oxidation.

I'd suggest just continue as normal. Many beers that I thought I screwed up ended up very good.

You should purchase a wine/beer thief. They are to long to drop into a carboy and remove the correct amount for a gravity reading.

So the bottle filler tool thing should have been sterilized prior to usage right? It probably would have been better to just leave it in there till the beer was finished fermenting. I'm guessing your batch will be ok but in the future.... less touching is good touching!! Lol
Cheers

So what happens with oxidization??? Ya it was sterilized before hand and I thought about leaving it there but thought it would be worse(that's what I get for thinking lol) so I guess a thief is the way to go and hope my beer don't taste funny

As worksnorth said, try not to mess with your fermenting beer. We make wort, yeast make beer. It might come out tasting like liquid cardboard (oxidation) or it could be fine. Let it be and see.

Back