Did I ruin my beer with gelatin??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warbirdbrewer

Reaction score
I still consider myself a noob brewer ( 30 gallons so far all extract.)
I just finished fermenting an Oktoberfest ale and an IPA. I've been reading about using gelatin to clear up beer so I decided to give it a try.

I ferment in a 7cu/ft chest freezer with a Johnson digital temp controller. Both beers had been fermenting over 3 weeks and the gravity had stabilized in the predicted FG range. 24 hours before adding gelatin I set the temp to 35F to start cold crashing.

I mixed the gelatin per the instructions I read on many posts here ( 1/2 tsp in a cup of water, let it bloom, heat to 170, stir and add to beer etc). I bottled the Oktoberfest 48 hrs later. It was in a plastic primary and looked clear. I transferred to my bottling bucket with priming sugar. I use an auto siphon with a muslin bag covering the opening just in case I get into the bottom debris. Bottling went just fine.

The next day I went to bottle the IPA. It was in a glass carboy. First thing I noticed when I removed the carboy from the freezer was there the top third of the beer was crystal clear. The other 2/3 were cloudy and there was an obvious line separating the clear from the cloudy. I was already committed to bottling so I had to proceed.

Fast forward a few days and I took held up one of the bottles to the light and it had dozens of clear round beads floating throughout the beer ( see the photo, the dark specks in the middle of the beer are the beads). I'm assuming those beads are suspended gelatin. I up ended the bottle and large chunks of debris fell from the bottom of the bottle. I looked at my Oktoberfest and it was the same but to a lesser degree.

Soooo I'm i screwed or once the bottles go into the fridge this stuff will settle out?? Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to give as much Info as possible. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440772833.295231.jpg

Cheers

Mine usually clears in a day but I use 1ts in 1/2 cup water and heat to 155°. Not sure it matter much though. Beer does come super clear though.

I think you just rushed it. I usually let the gelatin do its thing for 4-5 days while my beer is carbing in the keg then I pour out all the gunk on the first pour. If I were to pour on day 2 I would get gunk then 2 days later more gunk. So I just wait on it.

Your beer will be fine as it sits carbonating and then chilling it should settle out to the bottom. You may just need to be aware of a little extra sediment this go around.

When you say "clear," do you mean the same colour as the rest of the beer, just less hazy, or do you mean it was even a much lighter colour, almost like diluted milk?

The latter can occur when you cold-crash your beer while the blowoff tube is still submerged in a pail of StarSan. As the air inside the carboy cools and contracts, it "sucks" StarSan back through the blowoff tube, into the beer. Having lower specific gravity, it sits on top of the beer.

If you meant the former, then yeah, you probably just didn't wait long enough for the gelatin to do its thing.

The beer was all the same color just a line of demarcation about a third of the way down the carboy between crystal clear and cloudy

I realize I violated one of the cardinal rules of brewing........patience!! But when you have the bottles and equipment sanitized, the priming sugar mixed, and approval from the wife to trash the kitchen for a couple of hours, sometimes you just have to run with it lol.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll post an update in about a month when I try my first samples.

Cheers.

I think you just rushed it. I usually let the gelatin do its thing for 4-5 days while my beer is carbing in the keg then I pour out all the gunk on the first pour. If I were to pour on day 2 I would get gunk then 2 days later more gunk. So I just wait on it.

Your beer will be fine as it sits carbonating and then chilling it should settle out to the bottom. You may just need to be aware of a little extra sediment this go around.

You've answered one of the questions I have about using gelatin. You can let it work while caring the keg. Thanks for that. My other question is... how long do you have to cold crash before you drop in the gelatin? Once you get the temp down can you just drop it in or do you have to wait a couple days at >40F?

just know that you also want to cold crash to a colder temp than your serving temps. this is to ensure that you're dropping out any chill haze particles in the cold crash with the gelatin.

and just to reaffirm, if you see cloudiness in the carboy, next time wait. and next time check to see that it's ready before you prep all that crap.

Back