Did I Ruin it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWBrew

Reaction score
Tonight I was all set to bottle my BIAB batch of rye Pale ale. I was using a new spigot on my fermenter and it never occurred to me that I should've made sure that my tubing fit the new spigot so I could transfer to my bottling bucket. It turns out that it didn't fit. The newer spigot was slightly larger that the tubing. Given the hour of the day my lhbs was closed. So my solution was to hold the bottling bucket up to the fermenter at a 45 degree angle as close as I could get it without touching and let it slowly pour down the side of the bucket.

I also realized that I ended up packaging a gallon less than I expected due to a larger than expected yeast cake at the bottom of primary. I added 2.9 oz of sugar and based on my priming calculator this will result in 2.9 volumes of co2. Which is higher than the recommended 2.7 volumes for an American style ale.

So, based on my errors did I introduce too much oxygen due to my transfer method? And did I over carb to the point of potentially having bottle bombs or will it be just slightly over carbed?

Thanks

There is a fairly good chance the beer will oxidize in the bottle due to the transfer method into the bottling bucket. Carbonation may not be to style but if you begin drinking these beers in a couple of weeks carbonation will be less and oxidation may not have time to produce the typical off flavor.

Back