Crap, I forgot what I did

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I remember going thru here and getting some advice on closed transfer. I forgot to take a photo of the setup and now cannot remember what I did. After filling and emptying the keg of starsan using CO2 to push it thru my tap, I seem to remember putting a line from my CO2 can to the bung in the lid of my ferm bucket. Added just enough CO2 pressure to get the lid to rise a small amount. Put another line from the spigot in the bucket to the out line of my keg. Opened the spigot to start the flow and opened the PRV valve to push out the remaining CO2 from when I cleaned the keg. Does this make sense? I will for sure take a photo next time, but damned if I can remember what I did. Thanks in advance. It sucks getting old. LOL

Sounds pretty much like what I did my first couple times kegging, only I used one of those orange caps on a glass carboy with a racking cane....essentially the same thing. ...made me prioritze the cheap kegland spunding valve on my eternal shopping list which I'm currently using to do totally enclosed transfers from Fermonsters, a Fermzilla, and Sankey kegs with floating diptubes.
:mug:

Added just enough CO2 pressure to get the lid to rise a small amount.

You got it right, just be careful with the CO2 pressure I am unsure how much pressure those lids can really take. You only need a couple PSI, especially if using gravity to help. I set my regulator before connecting to the fermentor. It'll take a little while to transfer.

If you want to be picky you can "burp" your keg with a few rounds of CO2 after it is full, to purge the head space of more trace O2 that inevitably occurs. I think this is overkill unless you have super hoppy beer and want it to last for a few months. Some beer styles benefit from a little oxidation and others with very low IBU are not going to be bothered short term.

Back