Did I put these bulk heads together wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricd7

Reaction score
Trying to get my keggle all ready for brewing this weekend. I just installed 2 weldless bulkheads from AIH one with a ball valve and the other with a thermometer. I drilled the holes just shy of 7/8" with a step bit and had to almost thread the bulk-heads into the holes. I installed the ball-valve side this way from the inside of the keg out: coupler -> large washer -> o-ring -> keggle wall -> large nut -> ball valve.

I installed the thermometer side like this (again from inside out): nut -> large washer -> o-ring -> keggle wall -> coupler -> thermometer.

I tightened it all down to the point that o-ring began to misshape under the washer and backed off just a tad. Filled it with about 7 gallons of water and both sides leaked! The ball valve feels a little loose from the outside, but I am not sure if its loose on the bulk head or if the nut is loose. Seems like there should have been a second o-ring for the outside of the keggle, but I don't think i could thread it on if it were there. What do I do? I attached a picture Thanks!

photo.jpg

Did you sand down "de burr" the inside after drilling the holes ? Your bulk head should be on the outside.

Good chance you cut the rovings when you tightened them up. Take them off and see if there is any slits/cuts on them. Feel the inside for any kind of burr.

Excuse the "newness" but what are the rovings? Can that be fixed?

Sorry, O rings. Your thermo looks fine. Your bulkhead for your ball valve should be turned around. So the nut and washer,o ring is on the inside like your thermo.

Perfect. Thanks for the advice! I will give it another try this evening!

Just an update...thanks for all the help. My kettle is now leak free. There were actually a few problems. I didn't debur and did slice one of the o-rings. I didn't have the bulk-heads together like the link J187 posted. I re-did it all and brewed last weekend and didn't lose a drop to a leak. Thanks again.

Back