Did I pitch wrong? 2 Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NB247

Reaction score
So I mistakenly pitched dry yeast without a starter. I just measured the yeast and pitched it into a 2.5 gallon raisin and prune mash. Mixed and stirred, that's it. I waited till the temperature was "right".

Question 1: Did I pitch wrong?

Question 2: I added a LOAD!!! of sugar and used 6 pounds of fruit in 2.5 gal...should my SG be more than 15%, because that's where its at..I thought it would be more...

Any thoughts?

Id like to get more alcohol% out of if possible....

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

(used half a pack of ec-1118)

1 - No you didn't pitch wrong. Dry yeast does not need a starter. I would just dump the whole package in. Over pitching does not hurt anything but under pitching can.

2 - You're looking at the wrong scale on the hydrometer. You want to take the number from the "Sp.Gr." (Specific Gravity) scale. The difference between the specific gravities from before fermentation starts and after it finishes will let you calculate the actual alcohol content. The "Potential alcohol by volume" is just that, the potential. You would get 15% if it ferments out to 0% on that scale. But the actual alcohol content will depend on the strain of yeast (how much alcohol it can tolerate) and how much fermentables there are (how much sugar/fruits ect.).

So you may have a drink that has less alcohol if the yeast don't consume all the fermentables. Or you may have a drink with more alcohol if it ferments to below 1.00 on the specific gravity scale.

1. Starters aren't necessary with dried yeast, but rehydrating in warm water is recommended. Also, with that much sugar you probably should have used the whole package of EC-1118.

The big thing now is to watch your fermentation temperature. With that kind of a buffet, the yeast are going to produce a ton of heat. If it gets too warm, you'll have a very rough drink on your hands.

Latest posts

Back