Did I pitch too cold? Too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photobrew

Reaction score
I brewed a hoppy saison yesterday, and forgot to pull my yeast from the fridge until I brought it down the cellar to pitch my French saison yeast. Work uses White Labs, so I'm going to assume it is WLP590. I got a mason jar's worth. So did I pitch A) too cold and B) too much for a 5 gallon batch?

I'm trying not to stress it too much. It hasn't been 12 hours yet, but was hoping that it would be going off like wildfire.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

It might be a bit much, but I wouldn't worry about it. The temp was too cold but the yeast will come up to temp and be fine. On the bright side the increased pitch rate will help offset the lag of the cold yeast. RDWHAHB

Let's say one brews in summer and can't get one's fermenting beer below ~65-68F/18-20C and one wanted to pitch a kölsch yeast into an American Wheat...

• Would over pitching be a good way to reduce the esters of the yeast?
  • Would the yeast be reharvestable?
  • Should one use Mr Malty and consider fruity esters a good thing in a Wheat beer?

Hmmmm, decisions decisions

Back