Did I let in oxygen into keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khrushka

Reaction score
During the siphon from secondary to my keg I used a hose on my racking cane that was a little too big and this resulted in letting a good amount of air into the beer during the siphon.

I also understand that much the reason to siphon would be to not let in air.

I am not sure of the consequences of this, but I did try "in my mind" to reverse the error by pressurizing the keg a few times and purging, trying to force any air out of the keg.

The keg will go into a new 8.8 chest freezer tomorrow, so in the meantime, I just pressurized it a little.

This is my first brew, but after reading a lot on this forum I wanted to sign up and become a member. What do you guys think about my problem, or is it one at all.

Keith

i wouldn't worry, mostly because it's a done deal anyway. it takes a long time for O2 to stale your beer so drink up.

Along as you where not splashing it around allot it will be fine. Next time make sure to purge the keg with co2 before you transfer over.

I did purge my secondary (6 Gal Carboy) for my other brew I have going, so I learned that trick, just a little late. I started both brews 1 day apart.

I took a shot of my Belgian Dubbel that is done fermenting today and I thought, oh, nice... feels like the ABV may be nice and high. Besides that, and most importantly, it tasted good.

I'm still learning, I didn't measure this brew or my hefeweizen brew with my hydrometer. I took note to do this next time around.

Keith

Back