Did I kill my yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtoe

Reaction score
So I made a 2 quart yeast starter (wyeast bavarian 2206) and when it calmed down I put it in the fridge to help settle out. When I checked it the next morning, I discovered the fridge thermostat must be out of wack because the thermometer showed a temp of 30 deg. I know you can cold crash and lager beer that cold, but what's that do to yeast that you want live and healthy for pitching?

So you should be OK. I'd suggest decanting off the liquid on top... let the slurry come up to temp and make another bit of 1.040 wort and put it into the slurry the morning of brew day, then just pitch it all into the fermenter when you are done. It will take off like a rocket.

Kill, no? Put to sleep? Like a baptist on an hot sunday morning.

Bring it to room temp and pitch into a new starter wort, they'll be fine, if a little more holy.

If it didn't freeze solid you are probably good to go. If there was any slush in there you probably killed a lot of yeast. If none, warm to pitching temps before use and proceed. If yes, you need another round of starter.

Back