Did I kill my beer.... yet? Fermentation Chamber Malfunctions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deleted

Reaction score
Ok... so I built a nice fermentation chamber... everything was working just fine.... moved so I had to dismantle everything and put it back together. Brewed a few batches and popped them in the chamber to do their thing.... after monitoring them during the first week everything was fine and then didn't check on it for a few days....

Malfunction #1
My heating pad was stuck to the side of the freezer and had fallen off.... the puddle of water at the bottom of the freezer was enough to trip the GFCI breaker....
2-3 days reaching above 90 degrees... ouch!

So I fixed the heating pad so it won't touch and no longer just taped to the side.... reset the GFCI and back off to the races...
Checked in every day and looks good.... now off to camp for the weekend.... popped in to check before we left and everything looks great!

Malfunction #2
Got back and checked..... looks like the temperature sensors attached to my Arduino stopped reporting 24hours after I left so beer again...
Now hitting above 90 degrees for 1-2 days!

Now I am pissed.... I had a few bugs in how I had my Pi setup so I decided to tackle fixing them and updating everything as well as adding some kind of temp alert to fire when the temp is getting higher than it should indicating something is wrong.... Went through setting up brewpi using brewpi remix so I could update my PI and have everything working with latest updates... also setup dual chambers for a second Arduino I purchased to control keezer where I could also ferment if needed as well. Was able to setup push alerts using a thread on here using pushover... neat looks like everything is working.... setup wifi monitor to reset when no network is detected.... rebooting and everything started up multiple times without any issue. Only thing is I never found anything on why temperature probes just stopped reporting temps....

Had to leave to do some work up north for a bit.... setup remote access so I could pop in and take a look and babysit as needed. Day 1 I got a push notification.... logged in and was showing a 3 hour period where temps stopped reporting and then everything started up again. Ok so great I got notification and everything is working....went back to working on things..

Malfunction #3
30 minutes after I checked.... temperature probes dropped again.... no alerts were sent.....
4 days..... now temps hit a record of 109 degrees.... OMG!!!!😭

Ok so now I know.... I need to 1. setup an alert that can be fired when temperature reported is null..... 2. rewire and test/replace my probes as they are likely shot!

Question...... is my beer dead? Will it drink or will it be trash or even not safe to drink having reached these temps?

By 7 days your fermentation was likely done or at least the main fermentation where Temps are crucial. I say ride it out try and keep it as cool as you can then taste it . If it's bad dump , I wouldn't dump without tasting. It may be fine . 🤞

Latest posts

Back