Did I get a Lager yeast by mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenshead

Reaction score
I pitched a yeast I harvested from a bottle of Rogue Shakespeare Stout at around 2:00 yesterday. Last night I thought it looked a little strange, almost like a lager yeast ferment just below the surface. This morning I have a bit of a krausen but it still looks like most of the yeast is below the surface. I don't think Rogue uses lager yeast for conditioning. Anyone heard differently?

IMG_0092_1_.JPG

I don't think they do for the choc stout, at least this post seems to agree with me. Cool picture btw. That krausen is snow white.

No, Shakespeare stout has pacman yeast in it.

From the website-

10 Ingredients:

Great Western 2-Row, Crystal 135/165, Chocolate & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare Malts; Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Rebel Hops; Rolled Oats, Roasted Barley, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

No, Shakespeare stout has pacman yeast in it.

From the website-

That's what I thought. It just looked weird and this is my first foray into harvesting yeast from a commercial source. I'd heard of some European producers that filter their fermentation yeast out before bottle conditioning with a common lager yeast. I didn't think I had a problem but it was enough to make me nervous.

Back