Did I fry my Maibock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtoe

Reaction score
While my first Maibock recipe was lagering at 33° for 6 1/2 weeks, I bought my first keg and decided to keg condition while I was waiting for my keezer project to be completed. Racked beer into keg, added 1/3 cup sugar and a 1/3 packet of CBC-1 dry yeast. Basement was getting cold (dropping down to 60° or less) so in an effort to control temperature I placed a fermwrap around the keg and plugged it in to a timer with the thought that it would kick in a couple of times during the night for a half hour or so to boost the beer temp up toward the recommended 70° range for conditioning. Problem is, I screwed up the timer and the fermwrap ended up staying on the whole night (for probably 8 hours). Ferwrap instructions say it can increase fermentation temps by 5° to as many as 20°. Assuming my basement was at 60°, that means the beer in the keg could have been heated up to 80° or warmer for an entire night. I'm afraid this "crockpot" method of keg conditioning may not be ideal for flavor, carbonation, oxidation, etc.

Nothing I can do about it now so, "RDWHAHB," I know. But what are your thoughts? How screwed do people think I am? (if at all)

Only one way to find out...
...but it will probably be expensive shipping to get the keg to me for quality control.

It'll be fine. Ever brew a saison? Some yeast strains need to be held at 90+ degrees for a full month to finish.

Even though the mailbock used a lager yeast, it was well through fermentation where most of any off flavors would be produced.
So I'm betting what happened is not much different from what routinely happens to beer being shipped by truck.

Yes, relax...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back