Did i eFF up my APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDukDong

Reaction score
What it is HBT,

I made a 5gl batch of APA from Brewing Classic Styles and used .75lbs of caramunich instead of munich....I know, rookie move! At first i didnt think much of it but thought the brew was a little dark and after some digging around here it was clarified that "cara" is crystal and munich is a base malt. So beit, the brew has been brewed and according to BrewPal it's looking like a ESB or an IPA, completely skipping anything Pale Ale, so my question is...

Would dry hopping it give it more APAness, and am i simply looking at a slightly sweeter/maltier beer by using caramunich?

Thanks,

The Donger

It will be BETTER in my book!!!!

But I llike maltier apas and especially Ipas.

It will be good, just introduce it as an american amber if it is that dark....but it won't be!;)

Thanks for the replies!

No crystal grains in the original recipe but in an effort not to violate any copyright issues...

2-row
Munich
Victory
& Wheat

is what the grain bill is made of. I didnt think it would be too bad, but i recently used some bad hops on an APA and the brew was super malty with a strong caramel flavor. Not having used caramunich before I was dreading another overly sweet under hopped APA by the bad substitution.

Back