Did I do OK? Motorized grain mill motor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
Well this seemed like a killer deal motor/reducer/contol box, so I jumped on it. Now I need to know if I did OK or screwed the pooch.

My plan is to use this to make a motorized grain mill:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170783067198#ht_1944wt_1037

Motor and reducer and control box specs:

Included:

(1) Boston Gear AST-B AC Motor
(1) Boston Gear Reducer
(1) Control Box
Specifications:

Motor:
Manufacturer: Boston Gear
Cat.#: AST-B
Spec: 25E012W021
Frame: 42S
Hp: .05 TE
Volts: 115
Amps: 1.35
RPM: 1725
1-Ph
60 Hz
Class: F
Reducer:
Manufacturer: Boston Gear
Model: unknown
Ratio: unknown
Control box:
Manufacturer: unknown
Model: unknown
Forward / reverse

Pics:

l47l004-1.jpg

l47l004-2.jpg

l47l004-3.jpg

l47l004-4.jpg

l47l004-6.jpg

This line might prove fateful: "We do not know the ratio of the reducer, though it does turn very slowly."

Output shaft RPMs in the 150-300 range are what you want. Some of the gear motors on the same page are turning in the single digit RPMs. That would be well beyond "painfully slow". ...

Cheers!

From what I've seen, 1725 seems to be a fairly standard motor speed for small hp motors with fully enclosed fans, so I don't think that helps to figure out what the gearing might be.

My gear motor also runs at 1725 rpm, and the output shaft spins at ~170 rpm (10:1 reduction). A 20:1 would provide ~85 rpm, which would be pretty slow for spinning a mill, imo, but a heck of a lot faster than 5-6 rpm like some of the other gear motors that seller has listed.

Guess you'll just have to power it up when it arrives and see what it does...

Cheers!

Back