Motorized grain mill for $150?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
This sentence in their words would concern me:
Description:
This listing for DY368 grain mill is motorized with a drill. You don't need any additional attachments, just stick the drill on and go.

This sentence in their words would concern me:
Description:
This listing for DY368 grain mill is motorized with a drill. You don't need any additional attachments, just stick the drill on and go.

This is just the chinglish translation...the pics show a direct drive motor or what translates to “drill” in chinglish.

Looks pretty good for $150, of course ymmv w/ a new product line from China.

What’s the return policy Lol.
Not saying I wouldn’t consider buying it...

Amazes me how quickly China is to see a need and try to fill it...or see the AAW motor / mill set up for big $$$ and create a mimic product.

Edit...wow this actually ships from US w/ return buyer pays shipping....that gives me a bit more confidence. Fwiw of course

Last edited:
If I were looking at it seriously, I would try to contact the vendor to make sure it is a chinglish problem.. I suspect it is, but worried that the US vendor did not correct the wordage.

I wonder if the mill is the same as the Cereal Killer/Kegco.

in the pictures it does have a two speed rocker switch though!

you know if you buy it on ebay and these are the pics their showing, if it didn't have the motor, ebay will give you your money back....

Also the specs state 110v. 20w. Etc. Probably just a bad cut and paste job. Still worth a quick question to seller

Someone sold me one of those a while back (estate sale or something as I recall). I bought it for cheap thinking a buddy could use it. If he didn't want it, I'd just resell it.

He's used it, works fine. It's a little slower in RPM, but that's actually not a bad thing.

It looks like the Barley Crusher/Cereal Killer/Generic Chinese Mill with a motor. For $150 you could buy one of those, a drill, and have enough left over for the ingredients for a 5 gal batch, or two.

I respectfully disagree...
Please show me stainless mill w/ direct drive motor coupling and forward reverse switch, plus a five gallon batch for $150, from US seller, with reasonable return policy?

That is also ready to table mount out of the box?

Please show me stainless mill w/ direct drive motor coupling and forward reverse switch, plus a five gallon batch for $150, from US seller, with reasonable return policy?

I have a Barley Crusher whch I bought, on sale, from AIH for $90. It's the same mill, minus the motor, as the one in the links in this thread. Mine came with a base whch fits over a bucket; that base could easily be used as a table mount. Add an inexpensive drill (I already owned several drills) and there would still be enough left in the $150 budget for some brewing ingredients.

If owning a self contained motor/mill unit is really important to someone the mill under discussion is probably the least expensive option. To me, and a lot of other homebrewers, something which gets the job done for the lowest cost is completely acceptable.

FWIW, I’m a tool user, not a tool snob. YMMV.

I think you are referring to the post that said a mill and a drill, then ingredients for a 5 gallon batch.
Mill = $100 A drill that actually will work $32 Assuming you order online and no shipping leave you only $18 not much for ingredients. Then you have to mount the mill, unless you just use the base that comes with the cereal killer and a bucket.

The Barley Crusher right now is $136.99 If you have the drill that leaves you with 10 dollars. Not many will have a drill that will handle the loads. I nearly burned up my drill on my corona that spun easier than the Cereal Killer.

Saw the same mill on Amazon for $179.if all is indeed as stated in the description I would consider it
it wont likely come with the motor... notice the pics show different motors connected to it? this is the same $75 mill avaliable on aliexpress and ebay or sold as the cereal killer,kegking malt munchier, kegco 2 roller, Ect.. its a good mill but that price is no deal.

I made my motorized kegco 3 roller mill for around $300 myself with a reverse/forward switch and a 1/6hp gear reduction bodine motor.. its only milled about 500 lbs of grain so far but not a single issue.. I have it mounted on a wheeled HF cart with vinyl skirting to keep the dust down. it is being used in a 3bbl brewpub.

The Barley Crusher right now is $136.99 If you have the drill that leaves you with 10 dollars. Not many will have a drill that will handle the loads. I nearly burned up my drill on my corona that spun easier than the Cereal Killer.
harbor freight does sell a heavy duty drill that works great for most unbiased folks. it does use "brushes" that periodically need replacement but for the cost its a solid drill. I just bought a motor myself.. plenty of them on ebay I bought and use a Bodine 42R5BFC for $140 shipped.. works excellent

Also the specs state 110v. 20w. Etc. Probably just a bad cut and paste job. Still worth a quick question to seller
Normally I would agree but the description is pretty clear with "Package included" it does not clearly state if the aluminum plate is part of the motor
.. I almost got burned on a 3 roller mill I bought from ebay which was completely different than pics.. got my money back and still have the mill since it was not even worth paying return shipping to the seller.

the motor in the pics is the same one williams sells for like $200 without the mill as the maltmunchier motor.. Ive read its underpowered.

its worth a shot ordering it as you can always get reimburshed if its not as described if paid with paypal.

the hopper only holds 7lbs BTW its often misquoted as 11 with this mill.

Last edited:
No intention/need to buy. Just commenting on the typical translation practices of chinese sellers. A bit odd as these guys say they’re us based, but i guess thats the point of calling it cut and paste.

No intention/need to buy. Just commenting on the typical translation practices of chinese sellers. A bit odd as these guys say they’re us based, but i guess thats the point of calling it cut and paste.
they are likely chinese based but use a massive warehouse distributing company based in the US to stock and ship from.. A lot of stuff I have ordered is handled this way now. (And I do mean a LOT) my crappy misadvertised mill was shipped from the states although the seller was in china and the response times proved it as well as poor engrish..

the chinese keep moving one step closer to removing the american middleman/rebranding company from the equation.

Definitely. Seems to be most prominent with LA warehouses, for obvious reasons, but also seen texas and NJ too. But mostly LA and its environs (fontana, san Bernadino, industry, etc)

looks nice....

be warned NO RETURNS...those china ebay sellers that are shipping from a US warehouse (Chino CA)....well I bought something a couple months ago that stated "returns"...well the seller kept ignoring return request (nothing wrong with it and I was willing to pay shipping as stated) with canned "what wrong" question. Well ebay approved the return and suddenly the "return address" was somewhere in Timbuktu-land...not the ebay shipping location

I have that same mill, purchased from eBay for $110 back in August. I've done 6 batches with it so far (in addition to running a few pounds through it to try it out when I bought it), and it works great. No concerns. Easy to adjust the gap. I would just mention that it runs a little on the slow side, but I'm comparing it to my old one that I used with a cordless drill and probably went way to fast with.

looks nice....

be warned NO RETURNS...those china ebay sellers that are shipping from a US warehouse (Chino CA)....well I bought something a couple months ago that stated "returns"...well the seller kept ignoring return request (nothing wrong with it and I was willing to pay shipping as stated) with canned "what wrong" question. Well ebay approved the return and suddenly the "return address" was somewhere in Timbuktu-land...not the ebay shipping location
if the item is not as described you initiate the return as such and the seller sends the return label or pays for return shipping, simple as that. I have about 3000 ebay purchases now with no issues with a return. like I mentioned earlier with my garbage quality mill ebay forced the seller to refund me and the seller tried to get me to accept the mill at half price and then asked me to ship on my dime and I refused stating id be happy to return if they sent me a prepaid label to print... wasnt even worth that cost to them.

I have that same mill, purchased from eBay for $110 back in August. I've done 6 batches with it so far (in addition to running a few pounds through it to try it out when I bought it), and it works great. No concerns. Easy to adjust the gap. I would just mention that it runs a little on the slow side, but I'm comparing it to my old one that I used with a cordless drill and probably went way to fast with.
So you bought this one and it came as pictured with the motor and gearbox? aluminum plate as well?

So you bought this one and it came as pictured with the motor and gearbox? aluminum plate as well?

Yes, here's a pic of it in my brewery:

kQdkCH

Hahahahaha! That could change everything :D
[edit]...although...40 rpm if true isn't great. I run a similar mill at 180 rpm and running the typical ~20 pound bill through it isn't exactly quick. I'm guesstimating it runs around 2 pounds per minute (I should set up something to test the throughput. Something to do next brew day)...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I see several mills on ebay with a price and a "make an offer button". Has anyone ever tried to make a lower offer?

There are several of these motorized ones with a make-offer option. VERY tempting.

You can never offer less once you've made the offer, just like when your selling you can't ask for more once you've asked for a price. :cool:

I ordered from the link in the first post. I once bought an ipod that had some problems. I could have fought on the problems, but the easiest thing was that the picture showed a vlack ipod and the one I got was white. The fact that the picture didn't match was enough. Since the picture here (saved) shows a motor, I think I can return it if the motor isn't included.

Back