Diacetyl rest until fermentation is complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
I am doing a lager with Safale S-23 I had the primary at 57f and the SG is now at 1.016 so I raised the temp to 68f for a diacetyl rest. My question is should I leave it at this temperature until fermentation stops completely? I plan to measure the SG in two days, then each day after until I have 2 consecutive days of consistent gravity.

Is this the right way?

Thank you

I am doing a lager with Safale S-23 I had the primary at 57f and the SG is now at 1.016 so I raised the temp to 68f for a diacetyl rest. My question is should I leave it at this temperature until fermentation stops completely? I plan to measure the SG in two days, then each day after until I have 2 consecutive days of consistent gravity.

Is this the right way?

Thank you

Yes.

You don't want to rack and reduce the temperature until fermentation is finished.

Instead of measuring my specific gravity every day, I am just going to leave my beer at the d-rest temperature for a week. That should be enough time right?

I don't want to risk contamination.

Edit: After reading, I think I will only leave it for 4 days. People said 2 days, but I want to be sure.

Instead of measuring my specific gravity every day, I am just going to leave my beer at the d-rest temperature for a week. That should be enough time right?

I don't want to risk contamination.

Edit: After reading, I think I will only leave it for 4 days. People said 2 days, but I want to be sure.

That will suffice. That is typically how I run my d rests bc I can't really do much throughout the week. You get you off flavors from high temps early in fermentation, so once the majority of attenuation is complete , you are safe to up the temp

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back