Diacetyl Rest for Ale Queston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunkage

Reaction score
I recently brewed a pale ale with an OG of around 43, used SafeAle English US-04 and fermented it at a much lower temperature than I did last time (Last time got out of hand at around 77 degrees) so this time I fermented at around 62-64 degrees. First few days fermented as normal and cleaned up real well. I let it sit for a week then added the dry hops for 7 days. 2 days ago I raised the temperature to about 68 for a form of a Diacetyl Rest, which I'm sure was unnecessary and now it is a little hazy, the trub is moving around a bit throughout and slight slight bubbles are rising to the top.

Is this normal and ok at this point? How much longer can I let those hops sit in there before I need to rack the beer?

I would say it is good! Usually the last couple points before final gravity, I raise the temp a bit, purely to make sure they clean up anything that might be lingering. Ale yeast is usually really good at cleaning up diacetyl on their own. It's the lager yeasts you have to work a good D-rest on. English ale yeasts are known producers of diacetyl, some are worse than others. Some styles allow or even call for some diacetyl. I just got done bottling up a strong bitter made with 1968 which is know to toss some serious diacetyl, and I just raised the temp a couple degrees for a couple days and it was good to go.

As you raise the temperature the beer can hold less CO2 and more of it comes out of solution. I suspect that offgassing is the cause of haziness. While some people complain of a grassy flavor from leaving the dry hops in too long, I have not noticed that flavor even after leaving them for 2 weeks. That may depend on the variety of the hops.

As you raise the temperature the beer can hold less CO2 and more of it comes out of solution. I suspect that offgassing is the cause of haziness. While some people complain of a grassy flavor from leaving the dry hops in too long, I have not noticed that flavor even after leaving them for 2 weeks. That may depend on the variety of the hops.

Only .25 of cascade and .5 of amarillo.

Its already much more clear today so I think ill bottle it up tomorrow, its good to know I don't have to necessarily rush because of the dry hopping.

I would say it is good! Usually the last couple points before final gravity, I raise the temp a bit, purely to make sure they clean up anything that might be lingering. Ale yeast is usually really good at cleaning up diacetyl on their own. It's the lager yeasts you have to work a good D-rest on. English ale yeasts are known producers of diacetyl, some are worse than others. Some styles allow or even call for some diacetyl. I just got done bottling up a strong bitter made with 1968 which is know to toss some serious diacetyl, and I just raised the temp a couple degrees for a couple days and it was good to go.

Nice, thank you!

Back