Diacetyl rest and latex aroma...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DryHoppinMad

Reaction score
I brewed a Stella Artois clone recipe, 11 days ago being brew day. 2100 ml starter, decided on Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast for its ability to retain lager characteristics at higher temps, though this was fermented at 50F. Day 10 it was very little activity, barely perceivable. I decided to raise the temp into the mid 60's for a diacetyl rest and strong finish to fermentation. Activity picked up a bit, bubbles rising like a glass of champagne would. I assumed this was either or both a heightened yeast aggression on remaining sugars from the warmer temps, or eating up whatever diacetyl was present. However, in this stage, I notice the smell coming out of the airlock to be of latex rubber, not yeasty. I chock it up any of a couple of things but not sure....autolysis, or the aroma of diacetyl breakdown. I'm guessing the first, but I am not familiar with the amount of gas, or the aroma, produced by diacetyl breakdown. I know diacetyl itself is buttery, but its broken components not sure....any thoughts?

If it is just aroma from the fermentation, I would not worry. New fermentation aroma's are noticed in my brewery all the time.

Back