Diacetyl in the bottle: Anything I can do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
I have 2 different ales that were brewed on the same day and both seem to have a diacetyl problem. Both were brewed with US-05 repitched from a 9% IIPA. I realize this is likely the cause of the problem. Unhealthy yeast produces more diacetyl.

Anyway, both ales have been bottled. I, for whatever reason, did not detect the buttery goodness in my FG samples. Is there anything I can do other than wait it out?

I'd really like to serve these at a Christmas party, but obviously will go another route if there is nothing I can do.

I'm thinking I will attempt to raise the temp for a while and see what happens. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I had an IPA recently that turned into butter bombs after bottling. Like you, I didn't detect any of this before bottling. I just let them sit another few weeks and it seems to be completely gone by now. Best thing to do would be let them sit at room temperature. Maybe even tip them each once to rouse the yeast a bit.

Thanks, hopefully 2 weeks is long enough for the yeast to clean up this mess. Why does this always happen when you need a beer to be ready for a party? It's like the yeast know you're trying to rush them along and want to remind you that they work at their own pace.

Well, after 5 days of keeping the brewery at ~70, the diacetyl flavor has definitely subsided. I could barely detect it in either beer when I sampled them both last night. Hopefully it'll be completely gone by Christmas Eve so I can serve them at my party.

Back