DFH 90 Minute Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s3kt0r

Reaction score
So, I've been wanting to brew a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA clone. It's my wife's favorite beer and its time I brew one for her. I've found this recipe in a few places. It's the one from BYO magazine a few years ago.

5 gal
OG 1.088 FG 1.021
IBU 90 SRM 13 ABV 8.7%

16.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.66 amber malt

2.00 oz Amarillo 8% AA 90 - 0 minutes
.62 oz Simcoe 10% AA 90 - 0 minutes
.53 oz Warrior 15% AA 90 - 0 minutes
1.00 oz Amarillo Dry
.50 oz Simcoe Dry
.50 oz Warrior Dry

Irish moss
Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread)

Mash @ 122F then raise to 149F until conversion is complete.
Boil wort for 105 Minutes
With 90 minutes left to the boil slowely and evenly start adding hops. (Works out to .25 oz every 7.5 minutes)

How do I convert this to an extract recipe? I've never done all grain. I'm used to using extract and specialty grains. How would I do that with this recipe?

Good question man. The simplest way to convert base malt to extract is multiply total amount of base malt by 0.75 for liquid extract, and multiply by 0.6 for dry extract. Understand that using extract will result in darker beer due to the effects of production and storage, so your best bet is to find the lightest possible extract and consider late extract additions (which will also increase hop utilization= less money spent on hops).

So, then this would work out to a little less than 12 1/2 lbs of LME. Then, can I use the 1.66lbs of Amber malt as my specialty grains that I steep in my wort? How does this work? Also, could I divide up the pilsner malt, so that I do maybe 11 pounds of LME and then 2 pounds of pilsner malt as specialty grains? If I don't use pilsner somewhere, won't I lose the pilsner-y aspect of the original recipe?

Sorry, if all this is obvious.

I don't know. Amber malt should be mashed, as the pilsner malt should be. You can't steep amber malt. So, you could do it as a partial mash, with the amber malt and double the amount of pilsner malt of the amber. Add it to 165 degree water in a bag, and keep it between 150-155 for 60 minutes. Then lift up the grain bag and pour 170 degree water over it to rinse (sparge).

I'd recommend getting pilsner extract- it's worth if if the recipe is all pilsner.

I assume that recipe is for a 6.5 gallon boil to start. If you're boiling a smaller amount of wort, you'll need to increase your hops.

Back