Dextrose in Boil - Need Priming Sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eqttrdr

Reaction score
Found a recipe I was going to try that for 6 gallons calls for 2lbs of dextrose added to the boil.

If thats correct would that fermented wort need priming sugar added before bottling? :confused:

Yeah, the yeasties are going to eat up all the sugar they can during fermentation and leave none behind for bottle carbing. You will need to add priming sugar just as you would any other recipe.

2 lbs is a lot of sugar. It may be okay for a Belgian, but if it is anything else, go look for another recipe.

I was thinking the same thing as calder. Unless you're making a pretty big belgian then be careful with that much sugar...

Yes, you'll still need to add priming sugar as others have mentioned, as the yeast will ferment all that dextrose.

Yes, 2 lbs is a lot, but not unheard of. I'm assuming it's a very big beer. If not, I wouldn't add so much. What is the recipe for, and what's it's expected ABV?

thanks for all the replies... 2lbs just seems like a lot though...

Style: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

OG 1.082
FG 1.010
ABV 9.41%

Fermentables:

12.5 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
2 lb Corn Sugar - Dextrose

2lbs of sugar in an IIPA? I've seen recipes that include anywhere from none to as much as a pound, but two pounds seems a bit much.

Yep, you'll still need priming sugar.

Back