Devils Backbone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didn't see your thread when I searched for this back in March

I'm trying my own clone recipe right now. 1st try is 2 weeks into bottle conditioning, but I tried it and it just doesn't have the hop flavor/aroma that DB 8 Point has. what I got from the DB blog

they didn't mention a dry hop, but now I'm 99% sure they do. just no info on what it was. none of my emails/"contact us" submissions have been answered

Pilsner Malt, English Cara-stan, German Cara-Foam (a dextrin malt, provides body), and Torrified Wheat. The Munich and Maris Otter malt was removed with Cara-foam being added.

The hops for the 2010 IPA are Cascade first addition, Columbus second, Centennial third, and Simcoe fourth. A total of 18 pounds for a ten hectoliter batch

one at first wort (pre-boil), one at 30 minutes before boil end, one at 15 minutes before, and one at whirlpool

also, from their description:
This pale bronze beer is medium in body with intense hop flavor and aroma. Our IPA is brewed in the style of the “west coast” with robust hop character coming from American grown varieties of hops. IPA’s are amongst the most popular craft brewed beers as they have moderate strength and tons of flavor. This is not your Grandfathers beer! 5.9% alcohol by volume, 60 IBUs

so, I quick added it to BS2 and came up with

9 lbs Pilsner
1 lb carafoam
1 lb carastan
1 lb torrified wheat

& 1 ounce each hop addition according to the schedule from the blog

grain bill gets it to 5.9% (1.058 OG). I just added all the grains at 1 lb, then increased the Pilsner until the ABV% was right.

with advice from my brew club buddies, I got the grain bill to

10 lbs Pilsner
1 lbs 4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
8.0 oz Carafoam
4.0 oz Wheat, Torrified

same hops & schedule

Back