Designing an Immersion Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawaiibboy

Reaction score
While purchasing much of your equipment is one of the ways to go when building your home brewery, building parts of it can be rewarding.

One thing you can design and build for your brewery is an immersion wort chiller, which is an invaluable tool to help you cool the wort to yeast pitching temperatures. Besides being fun, it can also save you some money for other supplies or more ingredients. This tutorial won’t tell you how to build the wort chiller but how to design it and to help influence your build. For detailed directions to build your immersion wort chiller go here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/entries/diy-cost-effective-immersion-wort-chiller.html

So grab a scrap piece of paper, a calculator and a pen and lets get to work:

Step 1: Analysis of Your Boil Kettle and Batch Size

To begin, determine the heigth (H) and diameter (D) of your boil kettle. Many times this is supplied by the manufacturer or the retailer.

If you use a false bottom or screen on the bottom of your kettle determine the height from the bottom of your kettle it sits.

ex: My Polar Ware Economy S/S 10.5gal kettle is 14"Hx15.75"D. I don't use a false bottom, so this is 0".

Batch Size: How much wort will you be transferring to fermentation from your kettle? Some people do partial boils and add water post boil while others may do full volume boils.

ex: I do BIAB at 3-6gal full volume boils. A range is okay to have, just use the larger volume for the design.

Step 2: Determine how high up in your kettle your batch volume will be.

There are a few ways to do this, next time you brew place a SANITIZED s/s ruler to the bottom of your kettle and take a measurement, use a volume measuring stick…

or math:

Using the formula for volume of a cylinder: V= H*𝛑(D/2)2 and the fact that 1US gallon = 231 in3 we can determine the height of the volume of wort in a kettle.

(V*231)/ 𝛑(D/2)2=h where V= your batch size in US gal; D=the diameter of your kettle (from step 1); and h=the height of your volume of wort in the kettle.

ex: (6*231)/𝛑(15.75/2)2=h → 1386/𝛑(7.875)2=h → 1386/𝛑(62.015625)=h → 1386/194.8278319077795=h → 7.113973329313926=h

for our purposes we’ll round that to: 7”=h

Step 3: Designing the Coils

There are now three main things to consider here: the width of the coils (aka how big around the chiller will be); the diameter of the piping to be used for the chiller; how much piping is actually needed.

The width of the coils is completely up to you. I have seen immersion chillers that just barely scrape the sides of the kettle, and I have seen chillers that are less than half the diameter of the kettle. You may be limited in forms that you can use to shape your coils, so this could be a determining factor. Anything that is half the diameter of your kettle to about ¾ the diameter of the kettle should work out well though. The most common form I have seen used is a paint can. For our example we will use the width of my form: another kettle, that is 7” in diameter, as our width of coils (w); w=7”

The diameter of piping is also up to you, but the two most common width’s of copper tubing used are 3/8” and 1/2”. I’ll be using 3/8”, so this will be our diameter (d). This will let us know how many coils we will need to reach our desired height. For the example it is: 7”/(3/8”) or 18.66666667 coils, or about 18 coils. c=18 I like to round down to the nearest whole number here since I want to keep my tightly bundled coils beneath the surface of the wort.

The length of tubing/piping used is determined mathematically by using the formula for circumference multiplied by the number of coils + the length of the two outlets of the chiller (your kettle height and the distance between the top of the wort and the top of the kettle) plus a little more for the bends and exiting the kettle itself; 𝛑wc+H+(H-h) + 6”.

So in my example:

(𝛑*7*18)+14+(14-7)+6=422.84 inches. So about 35 feet will get the job done!

We have all the info we need now to properly design an immersion chiller that will be completely submerged in your wort, with the most surface area possible given a certain diameter tubing and coil size, while still having the leads of the chiller taller than your kettle, all while using the smallest amount of piping needed.

This works if you don’t allow the coils of your wort chiller to deform and separate from each other. To account for this you can add the seaparation distance into the width of your tubing diameter and recalculate. Personally I want an extra quarter inch between coils to really maximize the surface area of my chiller in the wort. Lets see what happens when we recalculate. The only thing changing is the number of coils: c=11

(𝛑*7*11)+14+(14-7)+6= 268.9 inches or about 22 feet of tubing.

I hope this helps people out there determine the amount of copper to buy if they want to go this far when they DIY their immersion chiller!

Brew on, and brew hard!

OMG....my brain hurts dude. That's what great about this hobby. You can be as technical as you want or as KISS as you want. I just wrapped 50' of copper tubing around a keg....LMAO!! :mug:

Hammy71 said:
OMG....my brain hurts dude. That's what great about this hobby. You can be as technical as you want or as KISS as you want. I just wrapped 50' of copper tubing around a keg....LMAO!! :mug:

That is the beauty of it! I myself am proabably going a semi-KISS method too. Lol. Buying 50' of copper and cutting it in half for a chiller and a pre-chiller.

This was just to pass the time, then thought I'd turn it into a tutorial if someone else wants to use it.

I do need to edit the post though because every spot it says ded in a formula, that is supposed to be a Pi symbol.

That is the beauty of it! I myself am proabably going a semi-KISS method too. Lol. Buying 50' of copper and cutting it in half for a chiller and a pre-chiller.

This was just to pass the time, then thought I'd turn it into a tutorial if someone else wants to use it.

I do need to edit the post though because every spot it says ded in a formula, that is supposed to be a Pi symbol.

I would leave all 50 together in one piece as the chiller. I had a 25 foot chiller and even when my tap water was really cold, it took a while. My 50 footer is much better.

pabloj13 said:
I would leave all 50 together in one piece as the chiller. I had a 25 foot chiller and even when my tap water was really cold, it took a while. My 50 footer is much better.

Are the bulk of your coils submerged in the wort? If not then that extra piping is doing nothing for you. For me and my batch sizes, I could get away with 25'.

AnOldUR said:
You really think the dunks here are going to notice?

I read "Step 1" and scrolled to the bottom.
:confused::drunk::smack:

Nice work though!

Lol! Yeah I was on a break at work and was bored. Had to be sober to do that math.

Are the bulk of your coils submerged in the wort? If not then that extra piping is doing nothing for you. For me and my batch sizes, I could get away with 25'.

Yeah the whole thing is submerged. I just loosely coiled it around a keg. It's about two inches inside the wall of the kettle all the way around.

pabloj13 said:
Yeah the whole thing is submerged. I just loosely coiled it around a keg. It's about two inches inside the wall of the kettle all the way around.

Nice!

I would skip the pre-chiller and just pump ice water through the chiller. That has made the biggest improvement in terms of chilling time in my brew system.
JMO

-G

HDIr0n said:
I would skip the pre-chiller and just pump ice water through the chiller. That has made the biggest improvement in terms of chilling time in my brew system.
JMO

-G

Well ATM I don't have a pump :(. I am planning on making my pre chiller a rather tight coil so in the future I could submerge both with a pump.

So I have been toying with another idea as well, a double coil single pipe chiller. Make a large twist followed by a smaller one within. Reaches much more surface area and helps with temperature stratification. Run it down the larger coil first then up the smaller to drain.

Back