Describe the perfect fermentation vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnj

Reaction score
Most of us ferment in either a glass or plastic carboy, maybe a bucket, maybe a fancy stainless conical fermentor. I'm curious to know what you guys would come up with if you had the opportunity to design a fermentor from the ground up.

For me it would be plastic, have some sort of angled bottom to collect yeast, an open top with an air tight lid for easy cleaning.

Discuss.

The perfect fermentation vessel is whatever one I've filled just filled with beer. To me a fermenter is a fermenter is a fermenter, I have a dozen different things that I ferment it, from 1 gallon glass, to water bottles, to my old mr beer keg. I don't think the yeast cares what it's doing it's thing in, and neither do I....I just grab whatever is empty and fill it.

Of course if I'd won that conical in the drawing yesterday.... ;)

I'm not actually looking for one but yes I've seen many plastic conical vessels out there. I'm thinking more plastic carboy style and price. Just day dreaming.

I have a steel conical. I would like to add some cooling and heating to it so I can brew a lager in the summer and never be too cold during the winter.

Glycol jacketed SS conical. But I'm making plenty fine beer with my plastic buckets now, so I'm not really complaining.

A stainless steel conical that gets me another beer when I want one.
Oh no the dreaded 666 post!!!

Temp control, both hot and cold, lots of CIP options, yeast harvesting, thick enough to sustain decent pressure, very large, on a base that works as a motorized hand-truck, multiple entry points that are large enough to crawl into, easy to disassemble, slats on the inside to hold planks of wood, rotating ball that allows dumping of additives without opening fermenter, built-in stairs and scaffolding to walk around top of fermenter, removable top to do open fermentation, complete temperature and gravity measurement and logging system built on, motorized agitator, O2 diffusers built in, complete pasteurization and filtration system, multiple connections of various sizes in various places to allow things like yeast and hop powder to be transferred without contact to air in brewery...bunch of other stuff

Hey, you said if I could design from the ground up...

Temp control, both hot and cold, lots of CIP options, yeast harvesting, thick enough to sustain decent pressure, very large, on a base that works as a motorized hand-truck, multiple entry points that are large enough to crawl into, easy to disassemble, slats on the inside to hold planks of wood, rotating ball that allows dumping of additives without opening fermenter, built-in stairs and scaffolding to walk around top of fermenter, removable top to do open fermentation, complete temperature and gravity measurement and logging system built on, motorized agitator, O2 diffusers built in, complete pasteurization and filtration system, multiple connections of various sizes in various places to allow things like yeast and hop powder to be transferred without contact to air in brewery...bunch of other stuff

Hey, you said if I could design from the ground up...

I was on board until you said pasteurization. That is just crazy talk.

Back