Deschutes Oregon 150

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netjunk1e

Reaction score
I was at the Deschutes tasting room over the weekend and they had a special brew for the 150th birthday of Oregon.

Deschutes Brewery » Blog Archive » Happy Birthday Oregon!
Oregon 150 Ale was brewed at our Bend Brew Pub by Paul Arney. This beer has a very unique color and flavor that makes it hard to categorize. Brewed with barley malt grown in the Klamath Falls basin (malted in Portland), blackberry honey from Yamhill County, Oregon marionberries and Crystal hops from the Willamette Valley we have created a beer like you’ve never tasted before. Our mash conversion took place at, you guessed it, 150 degrees!

The recipie on they stated at the tasting was:

350 lb Barley (assuming 2-row)
180 Blackberry Honey homey
112 Marion berrys
6 lb crystal hops
Mash 150
4.2%
Ibu 20

It was very light, pink in color, and tasted more like a white wine than a beer. They never said anything about the batch size, so I guessed and threw it into beersmith, I got about 350 gallons. Scaled down to 5 gallons:
5 lb Barley (assuming 2-row)
2.5 Blackberry Honey homey
1.6 Marion berrys
1 oz crystal hops
Mash 150
4.33%
Ibu 20

Should I add the berries in primary or secondary?

What yeast should I go for? My normal house yeast is WPL060, its a blend of 001 and another cal ale type yeast, who knows what one took over after I have harvested it multiple times.

Does it looked like I scaled it down correctly?

This was super good, and will make an excellent gift to the non beer drinkers in my family.

Back