Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Denny, just wanted to let you know that I used the second runnings of this beer for a amarillo saison (very small- 3.5%) and at 2 weeks in the bottle it's already one of the best beers I've ever had.
So, your grain bill works very well in a saison...

I'm planning on brewing this BIAB and thought about moving the bag over to a second kettle for a Parti-gyle. I'd love more details about what you did, like IBUs, volume, etc. I have some Chimay yeast in the freezer. Belgian rye sound delicious.

I'm planning on brewing this BIAB and thought about moving the bag over to a second kettle for a Parti-gyle. I'd love more details about what you did, like IBUs, volume, etc. I have some Chimay yeast in the freezer. Belgian rye sound delicious.

I fermented in a 3 gallon BB, so I probably got 2+ gallons. (I don't have notes on this, it was kinda on the fly)

I would go for a 20 ibu, 1.045ish beer with this. (you'll get something around the 1.3 out of the second mash)

if you need more details or more advice, send me the specs on the brew and on the second kettle.

Just out of curiosity, are there any commercial examples of anything close to this? A rye IPA, or something with Columbus and Mt. Hood hops? I'm really intrigued, and love all the glowing reviews, but I'd really like to know what I'd be getting into.

I just saw in the newest issue of Zymurgy that Sierra Nevada us releasing a Rye IPA in January. Unsure of the hop profile the add just says "bright citrusy flavors of whole-cone hops". I am planning on giving it a try to compare to this brew.

I've had test samples of Sierra's Rye IPA when I was there at Beer Camp a couple months ago. It's not anything like mine. About 1/2 the amount of rye and much different hopping.

hey guys was wondering what volume of strike water everyone was using for this? also would a wyeast and a us 05 work without a strter?
thanks
Bryan

I use 6.5 gal. for the mash.

When you say "a Wyeast", what one? You can use 05, but it's at the bottom of my list of alternate yeasts.

ended up making a starter, so no worries about the yeast. what volume sparge do you end up using. sorry for all the questions but new to the all grain thing.
thanks
Buck

I don't recall offhand, but here's an easy way to decide...after you runoff the mash, measure how much you have in the kettle. Subtract that from your boil volume. The answer you get is how much sparge water to use.

i made this recipe using WLP002 and Liberty instead of Mt Hood becouse in my LHBS they where out of it, i hit an OG 1.073 and after 10 days i took a sample today and it was 1.010. I'll wait for the weekend to dry hop with Colombus for more 5 days, like the spicyness!

Al Equihua

Thanks for the recipe, Denny. Brewed this Tuesday, a little skeptical about the hop choices... until I got of whiff of that first wort hop blending together with the run-off! Smelled excellent the whole hour of boiling, super-excited to try this out! We emulated this recipe every step of the way in your direction... from using your yeast to even doing our grain absorption calculations from your own webpage... every stat turned out spot-on! Cheers!

I want to brew this but would like to know if pacman or ringwood yeasts would be a good substitute?

I am planning to brew this on Monday. I am pretty excited, I've got a nice starter going and some new gear to try out too. I've used 1450 before and really enjoy it so I look forward to see what it does in a recipe designed for it. Anyway, I have never done a mash out before and have a question. Does this take the place of the sparge water? I get the part where I strike with 6.5 gallons of water to get to 153 but then what? Do I use the amount of water I would use to sparge to raise the temp for mash out and then use those runnings to get to my preboil volume? I am using a 10 gallon beverage cooler with the stainless braid by the way. I also have beersmith on my pc and a bunch of apps on my phone to figure out what temps I need to hit. Thanks for any help!

I am planning to brew this on Monday. I am pretty excited, I've got a nice starter going and some new gear to try out too. I've used 1450 before and really enjoy it so I look forward to see what it does in a recipe designed for it. Anyway, I have never done a mash out before and have a question. Does this take the place of the sparge water? I get the part where I strike with 6.5 gallons of water to get to 153 but then what? Do I use the amount of water I would use to sparge to raise the temp for mash out and then use those runnings to get to my preboil volume? I am using a 10 gallon beverage cooler with the stainless braid by the way. I also have beersmith on my pc and a bunch of apps on my phone to figure out what temps I need to hit. Thanks for any help!

Are you fly sparging or batch sparging? If you are batch sparging, you do not need to perform a mash out because you will be getting the wort up to a boil immediately after the quick sparging process and those high temps. will halt any further conversion activity.

Have fun. This beer is very tasty. I've made it twice.

I want to brew this but would like to know if pacman or ringwood yeasts would be a good substitute?

Pacman is OK, but Ringwood NEVER!!!! Pacman will leave the beer a bit thin, but the taste will be fine. Ringwood will totally dickchimp the flavor.

Are you fly sparging or batch sparging? If you are batch sparging, you do not need to perform a mash out because you will be getting the wort up to a boil immediately after the quick sparging process and those high temps. will halt any further conversion activity.

Have fun. This beer is very tasty. I've made it twice.

I used to do a "pseudo mash out" with this beer, but it was really just a pre mash runoff addition of water to even out the volumes of the runnings. These days I just do a thinner mash (1.6-1.75 qt./lb.) and don't bother with adding water before I run off the mash.

Denny said:
Pacman is OK, but Ringwood NEVER!!!! Pacman will leave the beer a bit thin, but the taste will be fine. Ringwood will totally dickchimp the flavor.

Roger. Thanks. Out.

Brewed this with a few changes, upped the carapils/wheat. Also added 1oz citra at 10min and then 1oz with the 1.5oz of mt hood at flameout. Will dry hop with the tomahawk and citra at the end of ferm. Also, used 05 yeast because, who wants to plan a brew day a week in advance?

Probably the best smelling wort i've ever made.

Thanks for recipe, it makes me all excited and stuff.

What's everyone dry hopping this with? NB kit says 1 oz Columbus, I have seen places online that say 2oz, even a post of two from Denny saying he uses 2 oz. For those of you who do 2 oz, is that 2 of Columbus or 1 of Mt. Hood and 1 of Columbus? Also is the month long secondary really needed?

Thanks for any help!

What's everyone dry hopping this with? NB kit says 1 oz Columbus, I have seen places online that say 2oz, even a post of two from Denny saying he uses 2 oz. For those of you who do 2 oz, is that 2 of Columbus or 1 of Mt. Hood and 1 of Columbus? Also is the month long secondary really needed?

Thanks for any help!

2 oz. Columbus if you're doing that. 1 is minimum, but sometimes I get crazy....

Denny, I don't have Columbus but am planning on making this. I have a lot of Nugget that I need to use. Do you think that would be a satisfactory substitute? Thanks.
Or Magnum....I have that too.

Definitely not Magnum....the bitterness won't be sharp enough and they don't world well as an aroma hop IMO. Nugget really isn't a good sub for Columbus, either, in this beer. I guess what I'm saying is "get some Columbus"!

I just pulled a small sample to taste and then dip some on the old refractometer (yes I know not that accurate once fermentation is started), wow that was good. I am not sure how I am going to be able to wait until March to drink it.

I put my first 5 gallons in the keg yesterday, albeit I didn't hit my intended OG, the sample was amazingly good. Can't wait to try a glass in a couple weeks. Thanks for all your help Denny.

Z

I brewed this 2 days ago and I'm pretty excited about it, I have no idea what my #s were because I had a ton of cold brek in my test tube :( but I'm sure it will be fine. I cant wait to taste this one!

I bottled this last weekend and after filling 24 22oz bottles I had enough to fill a few 12oz bottles. Well tonight I decided to throw one in the freezer for a while so I could crack it open and see where its at. Wow, easily the best beer I ever made! I can't wait to rebrew this one.

this might be a silly question but, I was putting this recipe into Beersmith and noticed that they don't have Denny's yeast available as an option. Is there a similar yeast strain I should use in Beersmith? I've order the 1450 already and am going to be using it.

Latest posts

Back