Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Denny said:
Actually it's not that similar, but it's the yeast I used to develop the recipe. I later ran across what became 1450 and found I preferred it.

I stand corrected. Unfortunately I live in Alaska and can't get your yeast here and I'm skeptical of ordering it because of freezing temps. But I'll say it again, this is my favorite beer ever that I've brewed thank Denny .

kevin, it's more than likely MY ignorance. I wasn't sure if that mattered or not. BS always had the yeast I've used and never really thought about it. So, you're saying I just need to put in the stated attenuation rate from the 1450?

I wouldn't evenbother with it. As geat as Beersmith is, it's FG "prediction" is nothing more than. WAG based on the attenuation rating of the yeasqt. That rating is meant as away of comparing one yeast to another and has little bearilng n the attenuation you'll actually get. Wort fermentability is the key to your actual attenuation.

Brewed this up yesterday. Things went well. I was a bit low on the OG though. Beersmith had it at 1.077 for 5.5 gallons and I got 1.070. Poured in my 1.3 liter 1450 starter and it was bubbling within 5 hours! Fermentation temp was a bit high at first (68*) then I reread Denny's original post and noticed he had it sitting at 65 so I dropped it down.

Quick question, do you dry hop for the entire 3 week secondary?

rosevillain said:
I dry hopped for 10 days and it is the greatest beer that I've ever tasted.

I dry hopped in the keg and just left them in there, it's probably month now and tastes amazing!

I almost never do a secondary for this beer, but if I do it's about 2 weeks and I dry hop the entire time. Then I add more dry hops to the keg.

OK...2oz of Columbus for dry hop lined up for this beer. If I have an extra half oz of Cascade, should I toss it in too, or would the aromas clash?

It won't clash. Just try it. Next Tim I brew this one I'll do 1 oz of Columbus for a week and then one more when I pull that one out.

Seriously, if you haven't done BierMuncher's blonde save the 1/2 ounce for that. I'm sure Denny would agree with me. Especially if this is the first time you've made Wry Smile.

Wow - I brewed this earlier in the year and just cracked it open for the first time tonight. Best beer I have made in the last three years, hands down fantastic. Wow. Used a hop tea for the aroma and it was just the trick. This recipe rocks!

Ok, so I'm gonna stick to 2oz of Columbus for the dry hops...how long do you let this beer age? Is it better young, like some IPAs? Or do you let it age out a bit?

Ok, so I'm gonna stick to 2oz of Columbus for the dry hops...how long do you let this beer age? Is it better young, like some IPAs? Or do you let it age out a bit?

I let mine set at least a month in a keg at 34F before cracking it open. Then again, my ales are sometimes a little wonky and it was suggested I lager them a bit before consuming.

can i make this recipe with a 5 gallon mash tun?

I use this "can I mash it?" calculator to find out if a grainbill will fit in my MLT. http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

With a mash ratio of 1.25 quarts/pound, a grain bill of this size will take up 6.28 gallons of space, not including the false bottom. So, I'd say no. But you could use 2-3 pounds of DME instead of some of the two-row and make it a partial mash very easily.

Just use 3 pounds of DME for 5 pounds of grain (two-row). That would give you 11.25 pounds of grain, which WILL fit! And just finish that and add the DME to the boil kettle and proceed. That would work very well with this recipe and a 5 gallon MLT.

I ended up doing what yooper said, however, depending on my results a 3 gallon batch or a new mash tun are in my future

Type: All Grain Date: 04/17/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 6.52 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.02 gal Est Mash Efficiency 89.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 39.9 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz Rye Malt, German (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 18.3 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.6 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5 3.3 %
1 lbs Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 6 6.6 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract 7 21.9 %
1.00 oz Matueka [7.40 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 8 20.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacific Jade [14.40 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 9 39.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Matueka [7.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 10 26.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Matueka [7.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast #1450) Yeast 12 -
1.00 oz Pacific Jade [14.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.087 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.088 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.030 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.7 %
Bitterness: 85.5 IBUs Calories: 310.2 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 10.0 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 0.8 oz
Sparge Water: 4.70 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 13.44 qt of water at 167.1 F 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 3 steps (0.19gal, 2.26gal, 2.26gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 7.72 PSI Carbonation Used: Keg with 7.72 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 35.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 61.0 F
Notes

spilled about a pound of grain at mash in, whirlfloc at flame-out, forgot to check for starch conversion
Created with BeerSmith

ok, there is my recipe. It has been a week and gravity is at 1.030, I was hoping for 1.020. I made a 1.6L starter. Should I try swirling it everyday? pitch more yeast? just wait another week and see? I was hoping to move to secondary today to dry hop.

I was just going to try a rye and ran across this recipe and thread--

Looks like my LHBS doesn't carry WY1450, and my "house strain" is WL028 Scottish- it sounds like maybe some of the same(ish) characteristics like accentuating malt & caramel, about same attenuation and good with hops... would it be close enough to do the recipe justice or just buy a new one in the list?

I'm not familiar with that yeast so I really can't say if it'll be a good sub. Chances are it'll be close but not the same.

Oh boy. I just finished brewing this and everything went exactly as planned. Hit all numbers spot on. But, a bit of a problem - I just didn't notice how high of original gravity this thing was until I was boiling. Not sure how that got past me but I wasn't prepared with a starter. I pitched the WYEAST liquid packet after it had swelled good but it was too late for a starter. Any suggestions? Maybe double pitch? I could try to grab another packet of yeast but won't be able to get 1450 locally, I'm sure. Any suggestions? Hope I didn't botch this.

Just bottled my first try at this recipe. Yes, the hydro sample tasted great. I've used WY1450 many times, but this time it took my down to 1.012 - nearly 80% attenuation! I'm really looking forward to cracking one open in a few weeks.

As for the Edinburgh yeast question from gwd890 - I've also used that yeast a lot, and like it, but.... If you're itching to brew today, and don't have 1450, brew something else that you like, and then make Wry Smile when you've got everything lined up.

Just an update. This thing took off quickly without a starter. It's 20 hours later and I need a blowoff tube. I'm assuming it'll still end on the high FG end of things but I've got a couple batches already in secondary so I'm going to keep it in primary for 3 weeks and see where I end up. If it's crazy high, I'll just pitch again. I'm sure I can get my hands on another 1450 by that time.

Thanks for the feedback on the Edinburg yeast question- I think I'll take Frazier and Mae's advice and hold off til it can be done properly ;)

I'll try not to be offended that you said my beer tasted like Ruthless....personally, I find that kind of a wimpy beer without enough rye to really be noticeable.

Type: All Grain Date: 04/17/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 6.52 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.98 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.02 gal Est Mash Efficiency 89.6 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 39.9 %
2 lbs 12.0 oz Rye Malt, German (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 18.3 %
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.6 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5 3.3 %
1 lbs Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 6 6.6 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz LME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Extract 7 21.9 %
1.00 oz Matueka [7.40 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 8 20.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacific Jade [14.40 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 9 39.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Matueka [7.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 10 26.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Matueka [7.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 (Wyeast #1450) Yeast 12 -
1.00 oz Pacific Jade [14.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.087 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.088 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.030 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.0 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.7 %
Bitterness: 85.5 IBUs Calories: 310.2 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 10.0 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 0.8 oz
Sparge Water: 4.70 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 13.44 qt of water at 167.1 F 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 3 steps (0.19gal, 2.26gal, 2.26gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 7.72 PSI Carbonation Used: Keg with 7.72 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 35.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 61.0 F
Notes

So I am tasting the first pint of this now, FG got to 1.022, i dry hopped for a week with 1 ounce Pacific Jade and 1 ounce Matueka. Cold crashed 5 days or so. Force Carbed starting 3 days ago and today it is pretty well carbed. I know it is young, but I am impatient. It is a little cloudy, but I am sure tht it will clear in time.

So tasty! I may add a little more rye next time, but it is amazingly good and really smooth given its 9% abv. Thank you Denny for a wonderful recipe!

Denny said:
I'll try not to be offended that you said my beer tasted like Ruthless....personally, I find that kind of a wimpy beer without enough rye to really be noticeable.

I agree I hardly notice the rye in ruthless. Denny's is so much more delicious.

I hate to go back to the beginning of this thread, but I just found this recipe and the first few posts gave me a bit of confusion. The OP said SG would be 1.085, which is in line with my calculations and every program that I've plugged this recipe into. But Denny, you yourself said you had some fermenting that came out at 1.073. What is the reason for the discrepancy between the gravities? Does it have something to do with the rye?

Thanks for the clarification!

Back