Delayed dry-hop in the keg for 'fresher' tasting IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechFanMD

Reaction score
I generally like to drink my IPAs a bit on the 'green' side, and I usually go through the keg before they have much time to age.

My pipeline is well stocked (almost too well I guess), and I have a Mosaic IPA in which the beer will be ready to dry hop any day now.....BUT I won't be cooling it down and drinking it for at least 2-3 weeks.

I can:
1. Dry hop and keg after 3-4 days
2. Keg it with dry hop in the keg
3. Hold off on dry-hop, keg it now, then 3-4 days before I plan to start force carbing it, put the hops in the keg.

#3 has a slightly higher risk of oxidation, though I can easily purge and create a CO2 blanket (almost like a purged glove-box) to minimize this risk.

My goal is to have the freshest flavor from the dry-hopping.

What do you think would give the freshest taste in the end?

Having heard nothing, I think I'll go with #3 and hold off on dry-hop until I am closer to drinking time.

I’ve been experimenting with several variations on just dry hopping in secondary for 3-5 days by splitting my additions and putting a portion at high krausen, another when the krausen falls and the third when fermentation is complete (1° or 2°).
Much better aroma and freshness all around.

Back