Del monte peach hefe..full flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddriverman

Reaction score
So Ive been reading several threads pertaining to peach hefe's, so I decided to make one. The one I thought sounded good was the one where pured peaches were used. I couldnt find the oregon fruit brand pured fruit so I decided to just get the del monte fruit halves.
I am planning on blending these really well and then putting them in the secondary where they will sit for a few days along with the brew of course.
basically I am opening this thread for ideas and input by those who have tried this before.
I will also use a small bottle of peach extract. I am planning on using 2 1lb 13 oz cans for a total of a little over 3 lbs,I believe this includes all the syrup.
I am hoping for a fairly fruity hefe.
I have done a raspberry hefe and in that beer the only flavor it got was a bottle of raspberry extract,and it lacked the full flavor I had sorta hoped for. Although it did or is turning out to be a killer beer I would like a full peach flavored beer........OK any thoughts? Please:fro:

My only suggestion would be to use frozen peaches they will be fresher and you will need to sanitize / pasteurize them somehow otherwise you'll contaminate your beer.

I recently made a peach hefe only I used 1056 yeast so more an american wheat. Peach is VERY subtle even with the Oregon puree. I let it sit for 3 weeks in the secondary. Its a great beer but its not the peach cobbler I had "hoped" for.

Incidently, I'm about to keg a raspberry wheat now I made with raspberry puree. I'll let you know in a couple days how it turned out.

Is that standard procedure? using frozen fruit? do I really need sanitize the fruit? Im slightly confused to be honest.
The oregon brand is in a can, so I assumed I could simply use another brand and puree it.
Are you saying I should boil the peaches before I put them in the secondary? Thanks

If going straight from the can you should be just fine. The fruit is already pasturized when canned. If touchig it to puree it you could be introducing bacteria or other contaminents. I'd say sanitize your blender, dump it in, puree, then go straight to the secondary with it. Let us know how it turns out.

Should I drain out the syrup/juice and then freeze?..Or just remove all of it from the can, freeze it and then puree?

The syrup is sugar and juice. I'd leave it in there. If you are going to puree I would puree then freeze or microwave it for a couple minutes after to kill off any bacteria that could have been picked up in the blender.

Primary fermintation is pretty much done. Tonight I will remove the peaches from the freezer,puree and GENTLY stir the peach into the fermentor 3LBS.
I really have a good felling about this!

Back