Degassing the Psychopomp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKBugs

Reaction score
G'day all. I'm giving the above a go as per the Groennfel recipe i.e. straight from the primary to the bottle. I have an issue with the degassing. The recipe calls for vigorous stirring before bottling to eliminate the egg smell (of which there is plenty). My problem is by doing that I stir up the lees. Does anyone know if this is right? Or should I rack?
Or do I bottle, sediment and all?
Thanks

That was my thought but won't that just allow for the off smell to build up again? Not sure how it works. Or should I have degassed enough to be rid of the smell - ideally?

Degassing usually expels the sulfur smell. It won't come back if the ferment is finished. Stirring a couple times a day for 3-4 days has worked for me. Then let it sit so the lees can settle and then give it a sniff (and maybe a taste) before bottling. Once bottled, there's no place for the sulfur to go and it'll be there forever.

Back