Definitive Washington DC visit thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where the locals at? why aren't we having bottle shares? why are all the bottle share groups on fb based in ****ing virginia?

170px-Protest_DC_flag.gif

Going to be in DC tonight and tomorrow night... I've been to DC a bunch and always end up at Churchkey. I'll be staying at the Mandarin Oriental (1330 Maryland Ave SW) and was wondering if there are any other bars that I should be seeking out. On Monday night, we are going to the Caps game, so any recommendations for dinner near the arena would be appreciated.

Going to be in DC tonight and tomorrow night... I've been to DC a bunch and always end up at Churchkey. I'll be staying at the Mandarin Oriental (1330 Maryland Ave SW) and was wondering if there are any other bars that I should be seeking out. On Monday night, we are going to the Caps game, so any recommendations for dinner near the arena would be appreciated.

Bluejacket is very solid. A wide range of beer styles and they do a lot well.

For tomorrow night I’d recommend Daikaya for ramen if you like ramen (best in the city), but the wait for that place can get long fast. Graffiato is right there and has delicious Italian. If you want to get a little fancier (nothing crazy), check out Jaleo for tapas or Zatinya for Greek. There are some simpler places if you want them or some very very good spots if you are willing to walk ~6 blocks.

Bluejacket is very solid. A wide range of beer styles and they do a lot well.

For tomorrow night I’d recommend Daikaya for ramen if you like ramen (best in the city), but the wait for that place can get long fast. Graffiato is right there and has delicious Italian. If you want to get a little fancier (nothing crazy), check out Jaleo for tapas or Zatinya for Greek. There are some simpler places if you want them or some very very good spots if you are willing to walk ~6 blocks.
Thanks for the input. At Bluejacket now. Very cool spot and the beers are solid. Hopefully I’ll be able to hit one of the dinner options you suggested. The ramen place sounds awesome.

I'll be in DC this weekend. Staying within walking distance to Churchkey so I'm sure I'll end up there. Definitely looking for some good food close by as well. Anywhere else I should hit up that has a good local stout or 12, especially BBL, on draft right now? I only live like 2 states away so I'm trying to look for stuff that doesn't make it to NC.

Making a stop at at least one of the bottle shops listed on the first page as well. Always happy to stuff the suitcase.

What type of food are you looking for and what price range?

Our local stouts are pretty lacking to be honest. Churchkey will have the best selection.
Right Proper is walkable and typically has a stout on and they make solid beer.
Meridian Pint is another beer bar a short uber away that might help. Solid food as well.

Meridian Pint might actually do the trick for food. The bf tends to only eat burgers and chicken tenders, but I like other things. Looks like they have stuff that will work for both and some great beers on tap.

Just checked Untapped for the GBS and I'll definitely be on the lookout for it. That sounds delicious.

Thanks!

Meridian pint’s food is good and the taps are usually all local.

There are a few other solid places to eat on that stretch of 11th too, including the coupe which is a upscaleish diner and el chucho (at least when we left 3 years ago).

I'll be in DC this weekend. Staying within walking distance to Churchkey so I'm sure I'll end up there. Definitely looking for some good food close by as well. Anywhere else I should hit up that has a good local stout or 12, especially BBL, on draft right now? I only live like 2 states away so I'm trying to look for stuff that doesn't make it to NC.

Making a stop at at least one of the bottle shops listed on the first page as well. Always happy to stuff the suitcase.

I’ll echo Meridian Pint, but the same people own Smoke and Barrel in Adams Morgan and i think SnB generally has an even better draft list, but it’s always at least as good. It’s bbq-y type food, but a great place to drink, especially downstairs. It’s one of the quietest places in Adams Morgan at night.

Had the BBL GBS at Churchkey last night. Great stuff. Meridian Pint will be tonight.

As much as I travel, I haven't been to DC since New year's 2002. A good bit has changed outside of the core of government buildings.

Last time I was in DC, I stumbled across a Mexican place and cool little grocery/bottle shop near Meridian Pint. All of those places ruled. Especially the sandwich I got at the Mexican place that came with plastic gloves.

Hey guys and gals, I will be in DC from 1/26-1/28 and will be staying at the Kimpton hotel Palomar right by Dupont Circle. I already know thanks to the front page guide that I will be right by Pizza Paradiso and The Bier Baron Tavern, but I am hoping for some tips on bottleshops/liquor stores relatively close by for the best selection of beers I can't get back in Chicago. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You'll be about a 15-20 minute walk from Churchkey. I'd go there over Bier Baron. On the way back, you should stop at the P Street Whole Foods, which usually has a good selection.

There's not really any great bottleshops in the Dupont area, and most stuff is overpriced. Connecticut Ave Wine & Liquor is probably the best of the lot, and is close to your hotel. 1 West makes even the most shitlordiest Facebook secondary reseller look reasonable by comparison. Want a bottle of Vanilla Rye? They'll hook you up for the low low price of $369.99. Oh sweet, they have Trillium cans! A four pack of Melcher Street will only set you back $59.99.

You'll be about a 15-20 minute walk from Churchkey. I'd go there over Bier Baron. On the way back, you should stop at the P Street Whole Foods, which usually has a good selection.

There's not really any great bottleshops in the Dupont area, and most stuff is overpriced. Connecticut Ave Wine & Liquor is probably the best of the lot, and is close to your hotel. 1 West makes even the most shitlordiest Facebook secondary reseller look reasonable by comparison. Want a bottle of Vanilla Rye? They'll hook you up for the low low price of $369.99. Oh sweet, they have Trillium cans! A four pack of Melcher Street will only set you back $59.99.

I will for sure hit up Churchkey, I did not realize I was that close to it, thank you for the guidance.

You could also walk to (or short uber) The Sovereign which is in Georgetown. It's a little pricey but they usually have a nice taplist and bottles of lambic and such.

Awesome, I will be up there celebrating my Uncle's 60th birthday and my cousins 21st birthday (born on the same day) and he went to Georgetown so I feel like we will be over there at some point.

Hey guys and gals, I will be in DC from 1/26-1/28 and will be staying at the Kimpton hotel Palomar right by Dupont Circle. I already know thanks to the front page guide that I will be right by Pizza Paradiso and The Bier Baron Tavern, but I am hoping for some tips on bottleshops/liquor stores relatively close by for the best selection of beers I can't get back in Chicago. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Connecticut Ave Wines and Spirits will be right there and has a good selection.

Hey all, I'm in DC for the next 6 weeks. Didn't have much room in my luggage but I brought a Freemont bottle out with me to share if anyone ever wants to get together for a beer/bottle share.

Also, are the recs on the first page for bottle shops still current? I'm in Chevy Chase so will check out the recommendations around here, but want to make sure I don't miss out if there are more recent, better spots elsewhere in the city.

Hey all, I'm in DC for the next 6 weeks. Didn't have much room in my luggage but I brought a Freemont bottle out with me to share if anyone ever wants to get together for a beer/bottle share.

Also, are the recs on the first page for bottle shops still current? I'm in Chevy Chase so will check out the recommendations around here, but want to make sure I don't miss out if there are more recent, better spots elsewhere in the city.
Come to Ocelot

Cool I’ll check it out.

Just got back from Chevy Chase liquor, pretty good selection but lots of warm storage for what it’s worth. Good for limited stuff still, but I probably won’t be buying fresh hoppy beers there.

MacArthur Beverage has a good wine selection

Visiting my friend that has been on assignment in the area this weekend. His place is in Chantilly. Current plan is to hang out in the suburbs on Friday and then go to DC proper on Saturday.

For Friday, I was thinking Ocelot, Crooked Run, grab cans at Aslin if there's stuff available and then just kind of chill back at his place and drink whatever we pick up throughout the day. He hasn't been too keen on any of the other breweries he's tried out there. Is there anywhere else out that way that is a must hit?

Saturday, spend a good chunk of time at Sovereign and Churchkey. Want to hit Right Proper, maybe Blue Jacket. Smoke & Barrel and Jack Rose to close out the night.

Visiting my friend that has been on assignment in the area this weekend. His place is in Chantilly. Current plan is to hang out in the suburbs on Friday and then go to DC proper on Saturday.

For Friday, I was thinking Ocelot, Crooked Run, grab cans at Aslin if there's stuff available and then just kind of chill back at his place and drink whatever we pick up throughout the day. He hasn't been too keen on any of the other breweries he's tried out there. Is there anywhere else out that way that is a must hit?

Not necessarily a must hit, but check Beltway Brewing's tap list before you head out that way. They contract brew for Grimm and a few others, and generally have some of those beers on tap and to go in growlers.

Saturday, spend a good chunk of time at Sovereign and Churchkey. Want to hit Right Proper, maybe Blue Jacket. Smoke & Barrel and Jack Rose to close out the night.
Right Proper's brewpub has good food. I'd start there for brunch, then walk to Churchkey (~20 minutes), then uber/lyft over to Sovereign, then head up to Jack Rose and Smoke & Barrel. Bluejacket is out of the way, so I wouldn't bother.

Not necessarily a must hit, but check Beltway Brewing's tap list before you head out that way. They contract brew for Grimm and a few others, and generally have some of those beers on tap and to go in growlers.

Lot of places I'd put before Beltway if you're going to run around LoCo. Not to mention the **** show that is I-606 between there and Ocelot.

ANXO is great too

Back