Definitive Washington DC visit thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When are you going to be there?

Edit: *Ocelot

4/14, ~430PM. Unfortunately flying out a day before their anniversary, but at the point I'd be away from home/San Diego for nearly 5 weeks. Sebowski

Edit: Possibly hit Aslin to get some cans and maybe Solace since my father nor I have been before.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I hadn't thought of anything outside whatever truck would be there until I saw thewimperoo's post
I'm a sucker for Dulles Kabob too. Those ground chicken skewers, that rice, spicy sautéed spinach, potato stew, chicken stew... :Homerdrool.gif

A must for me when I'm there is Human Cafe. It's just basic east coast Chinese food, but that is one of my biggest holes in culinary San Diego. Already promised the lady some general tso chicken as our first meal when we get there.

Going to The Anthem for a show, suggestions on hole in the wall eateries with good beer nearby? Or should I just relegate myself to Gordon Biersch?

Going to The Anthem for a show, suggestions on hole in the wall eateries with good beer nearby? Or should I just relegate myself to Gordon Biersch?

I'm going to the Haim show in May, all I know of is The Salt Line sometimes has OH and Aslin is opening a beer garden nearby. You might be best of going to Sovereign or Churchkey then ubering to the show.

I'm going to the Haim show in May, all I know of is The Salt Line sometimes has OH and Aslin is opening a beer garden nearby. You might be best of going to Sovereign or Churchkey then ubering to the show.

Ended up drinking at Kirwans, pretty solid whisky list in the back bar and ok drafts. Fish and chips were solid.

Getting into Anthem was a mess and security was laughable. Get your buzz ahead of time or you'll be paying 9$ for Java head or some IPA that was obviously not 90 minute.

A couple more visits to Sovereign. Thank goodness for my daily per diem from work.

l3K73s5.jpg

u7YHu04.jpg

9zjRaT8.jpg

Which city would you rather be in Richmond or DC on a Thursday, and the other city on Sunday, to brewery hop and eat at really good/James Beard restaurants with your adult family?

Which city would you rather be in Richmond or DC on a Thursday, and the other city on Sunday, to brewery hop and eat at really good/James Beard restaurants with your adult family?

I would vote for richmond on a thursday, awesome beer and food town. You could hit up veil and triple crossing and then to eat I would do brenners pass for good french bistro food or stellas for family style greek or saison for good american contemporary food with an awesome draft list and cocktails.

I would vote for richmond on a thursday, awesome beer and food town. You could hit up veil and triple crossing and then to eat I would do brenners pass for good french bistro food or stellas for family style greek or saison for good american contemporary food with an awesome draft list and cocktails.
Consequently dealing with doing the same activities in DC Sunday night over a Thursday?

Consequently dealing with doing the same activities in DC Sunday night over a Thursday?
Definitely better food in DC. And your best bet will be beer bars as opposed to breweries, but that’s ok.

Where are you planning to eat? Such good food in this city.

Such good food in this city.
Random add - but the last place my wife and I ate was Tail Up Goat [Adams Morgan] back in November. Food was excellent, wine and draft list were both great. I even got a free cocktail when the bartender goofed on someone else's order. Can't wait to go back.

Richmond on a thursday will be more chill and less stressful than getting around DC on a weekday, you won't have to worry about parking or reservations really and not much traffic. DC on sunday will be easy parking and chill as well.

Brunch is a sport in DC though. If the weather is nice, hopping from place To place could be tough. If this is only at night (In both places) I’d agree with Richmond thurs/DC Sunday.

If you’re staring in the afternoon, DC is pretty chill until 4 when people start drinking after work during the week.

Brunch is a sport in DC though. If the weather is nice, hopping from place To place could be tough. If this is only at night (In both places) I’d agree with Richmond thurs/DC Sunday.

If you’re staring in the afternoon, DC is pretty chill until 4 when people start drinking after work during the week.
I’m more apprehensive about driving back from Norfolk to DC on a Sunday with all the other weekenders from NoVa

Nice of you to be concerned for others safety but unless it's a holiday weekend shouldn't be a problem.
Just remember it being ****y trying to get out of nova with you last year, although that was in a hurricane over Labor Day weekend on a Friday afternoon I believe.

Definitely better food in DC. And your best bet will be beer bars as opposed to breweries, but that’s ok.

Where are you planning to eat? Such good food in this city.
Churchkey isn’t open on Mondays, so somewhere near there or just Birch & Barley. Somewhat had the Dabney on my radar, but it seems like there may be better options for Monday when it’ll be just my girlfriend and I after breakfast. The Sovereign or Jack Rose seem more likely for Monday. Need to get a crab cake while I’m in town, any recs for crab cakes, and/or fish cheeks while I’m at it?

The Dabney is incredible. Really great food, Michelin starred and not prohibitively expensive. If you don’t have a reservation you’ll need to line up around 30 mins before opening to snag a free table or sit at the bar. Around that area is also All Purpose, a really tasty pizza place (think new age pizzas, not a pizza by the slice joint). Unconventional Diner is also near and I haven’t been but reviews have been positive. Lastly in that little block is Espita Mezcaleria, a refined Mexican with killer mezcal cocktails.

I don’t know of a crab cake off the top of my head but Salt Line is down near Navy Yard (near Bluejacket brewery) and is a really great fish focused restaurant, so that might be what you’re looking for. Their beer selection also kicks ass (Maine Lunch, Other Half, RAR and more currently on tap).

Plenty of other recs if those don’t fit.

Coming in from Philly the weekend of 6/2. Doing museums Saturday, Monuments Sunday. Churchkey, right proper, blue jacket somewhere in there.

Any good spots in Ballston that are worth hitting?

If anyone wants stuff from Philly and is free that weekend let me know.

DCers...seeking opinions on where to stay.

One of my offices is near Union Station - I typically stay in DuPont and take the Red Line.

Other office is near L'Enfant Plaza Station.

I'm not sure where the meeting is going to be yet, but if it ends up at the second spot - any recommendations on where to stay with good walking-distance places to eat and drink (good draft lists)?

I'm comfortable on the Metro, with switches, etc.

Thanks in advance if anyone has suggestions.

Best draft lists (imo) are Churchkey, Sovereign, Meridian Pint and Bluejacket. Sovereign isn’t near a metro and not walkable from downtown so you’ll have to uber there either way. I’d stay somewhere near DuPont Circle which should give you plenty of hotel options, it’s walking distance to Churchkey, a shortish walk to the yellow/green line which can get you to L’Enfant Plaza, Meridian Pint or Bluejacket and right near the red line dupont stop.

FWIW, imo Bluejacket has really got their stuff on point, has solid food, sells cans, and you could walk to the Aslin beer garden after if you desire (it’s near Nats Park and is open on Nats or DCUnited game days/nights)

No idea if you have to stay in a hotel but I’d think staying up by the U street stop gives you a lot of options for food on that 14th street corridor. Still a little too far to walk to meridian pint but should be walkable to churchkey.

No idea if you have to stay in a hotel but I’d think staying up by the U street stop gives you a lot of options for food on that 14th street corridor. Still a little too far to walk to meridian pint but should be walkable to churchkey.
Best draft lists (imo) are Churchkey, Sovereign, Meridian Pint and Bluejacket. Sovereign isn’t near a metro and not walkable from downtown so you’ll have to uber there either way. I’d stay somewhere near DuPont Circle which should give you plenty of hotel options, it’s walking distance to Churchkey, a shortish walk to the yellow/green line which can get you to L’Enfant Plaza, Meridian Pint or Bluejacket and right near the red line dupont stop.

FWIW, imo Bluejacket has really got their stuff on point, has solid food, sells cans, and you could walk to the Aslin beer garden after if you desire (it’s near Nats Park and is open on Nats or DCUnited game days/nights)

I love Meridian Pint and I think Smoke and Barrel (owned by the same people) has an equal taplist. Plus, the basement of Smoke and Barrel is usually pretty quiet on the weekends, especially for Adams Morgan. It's a personal favorite place.

I love Meridian Pint and I think Smoke and Barrel (owned by the same people) has an equal taplist. Plus, the basement of Smoke and Barrel is usually pretty quiet on the weekends, especially for Adams Morgan. It's a personal favorite place.
I always forget about smoke & barrel but you’re right they’re great

Anyone going to Brewers on the Block? I've been slammed at work and haven't had the opportunity to hit any DC Beer Week events. I'll be going tomorrow, though. https://unionmarketdc.com/events/brewers-on-the-block/

No beer list up yet (details are sparse), but it looks small and tickets weren't sold out. At $55 for GA, it's more expensive that I think it probably should be without any really crazy breweries, but there's some good stuff. I'm a definitely a fan of RAR, Manor Hill, and what I've had so far from Pale Fire. Plus, tomorrow's supposed to be another gorgeous day.

Anything interesting in DC lately? I've been to Churchkey, Meridian, and Paradiso before but wondering if there's anything else more recent to check out (already know about The Sovereign, will def check it out). Also any good beers to look out for?

Not really. I think Bluejacket is the best it’s been. Solid, diverse tap list and cans to go. If you’re looking for bottles, the Bruery store has a great selection, including Voodoo, Rare Barrel and Lost Abbey and their Offshoot brand IPA cans. If you have a car and want to drive 30 mins, the famous homebrewer Michael Tonsmeire has Sapwood cellars in MD.

That’s about it, the rest of the breweries are mediocre imo. Aslin is opening an Alexandria location in a few months, maybe next time you visit.

Anything interesting in DC lately? I've been to Churchkey, Meridian, and Paradiso before but wondering if there's anything else more recent to check out (already know about The Sovereign, will def check it out). Also any good beers to look out for?

You've pretty much covered it, plus the already-mentioned Bluejacket. If you haven't been to the Sovereign and don't mind (a) going to Georgetown and (b) probably dropping some coin, it's a must-hit.

Depending on where you are, you can check out Meridian Pint's sister locations, Smoke and Barrel and Brookland Pint.

There's always Right Proper - either their brewpub or taproom.

It seems like pretty much everywhere in DC these days has at least a couple of decent beers on, but there haven't been any new beer-centric places. I haven't been to the Bruery store yet, but I understand that it's to-go only, which has deterred me.

Back