Defcon 1!!!!!! Help!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallags

Reaction score
Not new to homebrewing, but first time kegging and I think I screwed up. I have (2) 2.5 gallon kegs. I put in my priming sugar, poured in the kegs, pressurized and then PUT IN THE REFRIGERATOR!!! Did I screw up? Can I still take them out and let them condition at room temp???

Not new to homebrewing, but first time kegging and I think I screwed up. I have (2) 2.5 gallon kegs. I put in my priming sugar, poured in the kegs, pressurized and then PUT IN THE REFRIGERATOR!!! Did I screw up? Can I still take them out and let them condition at room temp???

Yep. Take the out and relax. Don't know why you would carb with priming sugar if you are kegging.

Thx Brauer. The recipe came in a kit that said "if kegging use half of the priming sugar in the kit.

Follow up question: should I release the pressure I put in the keg after I take it out of the refrigerator?

Wait - if you have a CO2 source, why are you putting priming sugar in the keg?

The recipe came in a kit that said "if kegging use half of the priming sugar in the kit.

Those instructions seem to have been for natural carbonation in the keg. If you are force carbonating, you should not use priming sugar.

Thanks singletrack...unfortunately I don't know of a process to remove sugar...LOL

So just set it out for a couple days to let the yeast eat the priming sugar. Next time, leave it out and just carbonate using your CO2 source.

Not sure why you added sugar, but Co2 carbonates better into cold liquid, so I'd leave it. HOWEVER... you've just sweetened your beer, so perhaps leave it at room temp for a week to allow the yeast to convert that added sugar, and then stick it in the fridg for final carbonation hooked up to your Co2.

The process to remove sugar is,........ wait and let the yeast do it. If you get directions in a kit your best bet is to throw them in the trash and ask someone on the forum. Those instruction are only good for someone wanting to ruin a perfectly good beer. Leave the pressure, it will help keep the lid on. You can carb it up now and drink it. It may have a little sweetness to it. Or you can wait a week and then carb it up. Your call.

There's no reason you cant prime with sugar in a keg. You just cant do it at that cold of temps. I'd keep it at room temp for a week or two then set it at serving pressure.

Latest posts

Back