Deer: The really elusive animal!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagooBrew

Reaction score
Coming to work this morning I noticed a deer crosing the road in front of me. As I stopped and watched three cross the fourth ran right into the side of my truck. This took out the headlight assembly, fender and drivers door. Really smart animal. This was in the middle of town. What gripes my ass is that the state can tell you when, where, how, and to what extent you can hunt these but will take no responsibility for the damage they do. The state owns the deer until something like this happens.

Right on,man! A couple years ago last September,a 6-point buck just couldn't wait that 3-5 seconds out of a lifetime for me to pass by. Jumped over the front of my Probe tuner & I just had time to raise my arm to avoid the glass from a face full of horny buck a$$. Got it fixed though. Here's a couple picks...
Before;

After;

I forgot it was the fall rut. But it just goes to show that,even with male deer,a stiffy has no conscience...:drunk:

I hit a deer on my motorcycle.... in the middle of downtown. The bastard jumped out in front of me from behind a sign in a parking lot. It was a heavily trafficked street.

Fortunately I was going really slow, and it was a glancing blow. No damage to the bike and I managed not to go down. Scared the living $#!t out of me though.

Makes me angry that I can't shoot them when they come onto my front lawn. I shouldn't have to worry about hitting a deer in the busiest part of town.

What's funny is that I used to drive several hours out to a hunting lease, sit in a blind for hours waiting for a deer to come out, come back empty handed only to find a whole f***ing herd of deer in my front yard, in downtown New Braunfels....

I hit a deer on my motorcycle.... in the middle of downtown. The bastard jumped out in front of me from behind a sign in a parking lot. It was a heavily trafficked street.

Fortunately I was going really slow, and it was a glancing blow. No damage to the bike and I managed not to go down. Scared the living $#!t out of me though.

Makes me angry that I can't shoot them when they come onto my front lawn. I shouldn't have to worry about hitting a deer in the busiest part of town.

What's funny is that I used to drive several hours out to a hunting lease, sit in a blind for hours waiting for a deer to come out, come back empty handed only to find a whole f***ing herd of deer in my front yard, in downtown New Braunfels....
Yeah, a guy I worked with in Texas almost died not too far South from you. He hit a deer while riding on the road between Devine and Hondo. Consider yourself lucky it was in town and not at 70 mph.

Have a lot more of them here in Central Oregon. You have to watch for them constantly this time of year.

One of my sons lives in northeast New Jersey and the deer have totally overrun that part of the state. When I roll off the Garden State Parkway the ramp is littered with deer remains, and I'll usually pass a few small herds in the three miles it takes to get to his house. If I step out on the deck I'll usually see at least a couple within a few hundred yards, and in the morning it's not unusual to see a half dozen grazing in the front yard...

Cheers!

Yeah, a guy I worked with in Texas almost died not too far South from you. He hit a deer while riding on the road between Devine and Hondo. Consider yourself lucky it was in town and not at 70 mph.

Have a lot more of them here in Central Oregon. You have to watch for them constantly this time of year.

I had a friend that lives in San Antonio that hit a dear on the highway while riding his motorcycle. It was at night and he was going around 70 mph.. he saw it and knew he couldn't stop in time so he ducked down and hit the throttle, he said he hit the dear about 90 mph ripped whole straight through it and laid the bike down sliding to a stop. The bike was wrecked and he was thrashed from the road but was able to limp away. :rockin:

Are Urban Archery licenses available in your area? I have a roomate that is applying for one to hunt the herd of 9+ that destroys gardens in my neighborhood and taunts the dog. And I would grill the hell out of any he kills.

between North Bay and Powassan Ontario, the MNR installed fences on both sides of the highway to keep deer and moose from crossing. they installed underground tunnels for the animals to use to get from side to side. One place close to where i live has an actual deer underpass tunnel. Total cost was upwards of 1.5 million dollars. i see deer daily in town. you are not able to discharge a firearm (or bow) in the city of North Bay, so all the critters have moved in. they eat everyone's gardens and flower beds.

Are Urban Archery licenses available in your area? I have a roomate that is applying for one to hunt the herd of 9+ that destroys gardens in my neighborhood and taunts the dog. And I would grill the hell out of any he kills.

Never heard of such a thing in Texas, but maybe that's an option. I'll definitely have to look into it. :rockin:

What gripes my ass is that the state can tell you when, where, how, and to what extent you can hunt these but will take no responsibility for the damage they do. The state owns the deer until something like this happens.

Lol at wanting the state to pay for the damage "their" deer did to your car. I guess this falls more in the "mindless mumbling" aspect of this particular sub-forum...:D

Deer! Try a 1500lb Moose or a 900lb Grizzly! I haven't personally hit one but I was behind a guy that did hit a moose a couple of years ago. He was driving an older Corolla, totaled the car, he was banged up pretty bad. The Moose had both left legs broken for obvious injuries, possibly some internal, the troopers put it down. We also have moose fences and gates closer to the larger urban areas. They still come onto the highway not that it stops them. I've seen adult moose jump a 6ft cedar fence with no problem.

Up here you put your name on a list for road kill moose, your name comes up, anytime day or night, you got to go to where it was killed and haul it all away.

I did bump a black bear in the butt last year going out to one of the lakes fishing. He just came out of the brush along the trail in front of the truck, saw me and turned and started running in the same direction. Even at 12-15 mph I still didn't get stopped fast enough not to bump him. He just snapped at the bumper and ran a little fast and turned off the trail after about 20-25 yards.

When I was 10,we lived in Harmony Township,PA. We were heading to Meadville in our pick up truck when a young female moose trotted across the road in front of us. We were heading up the Drake Highway at 50 MPH. We stopped in time as she stopped to give us the WTF? look. Inconsiderate prick...:D

I totaled a 3/4 ton truck due to a deer in high school. Amazing what a 125lb animal can do to a 6,000lb vehicle.

Later that same year some "conservation group" decided they wanted to plant crimson clover on the sides and in the medians of several interstates for purposes of "beautification". For those of you are unfamiliar with deer hunting, crimson clover is the food plot crop of choice for many hunters. Turned the highways into a bloodbath.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lol at wanting the state to pay for the damage "their" deer did to your car. I guess this falls more in the "mindless mumbling" aspect of this particular sub-forum...:D

I did not say I wanted them to pay or even thought about that approach. My rant is more on how they can regulate only the parts that serve them. If one of my cows get in the road and a car hits it I cant just say its one of natures animals. I laugh all the time at guys at work that spend thousands of dollars and hours to hunt whitetail when I could step out my back door and hit one with a ball pein hammer. There are not many days that I dont see one laying beside the road.

I did not say I wanted them to pay or even thought about that approach. My rant is more on how they can regulate only the parts that serve them. If one of my cows get in the road and a car hits it I cant just say its one of natures animals. I laugh all the time at guys at work that spend thousands of dollars and hours to hunt whitetail when I could step out my back door and hit one with a ball pein hammer. There are not many days that I dont see one laying beside the road.

The fact that you own your cows does not mean the state owns the wildlife. This is an apples to footballs comparison.

The state owns the deer insofar as the ability to kill them is highly regulated, and doing so improperly will result on them coming down on you, HARD. I think you're reading into his post a bit too literally. This is the drunk ramblings forum, remember. ;)

As a result, deer are overpopulated in many regions (including mine), which leads to the problems pointed out in this thread.

We have the same problem with deer here. The state keeps telling the herds to limit their population and not intrude into private property, but them deer just won't listen!

In my area, we have guns and full freezers! :) And there are still thousands hit on the roads every year!

I find it funny when you see some stove in luxury car, with thousands of dollars of damage, and the yuppy driver standing there crying over that poor deer.

There is a place for those deer, and it's right next to the potatoes and gravy!

The fact that you own your cows does not mean the state owns the wildlife. This is an apples to footballs comparison.

In California the regulations specifically state that all wildlife is state property until legally and properly tagged by the hunter. So yes it is an apples to apples comparison. At least out here.

Sent from my brewery while sitting on the John.

In my area, we have guns and full freezers! :) And there are still thousands hit on the roads every year!

I find it funny when you see some stove in luxury car, with thousands of dollars of damage, and the yuppy driver standing there crying over that poor deer.

There is a place for those deer, and it's right next to the potatoes and gravy!

I didnt have any more room in the freezer for this one. Its hard to beat fried up with a little gravy!

The only place I want to see deer any more is on my plate! I would have no problem with hunting them to near extinction and then letting them come back for a while, ( Or should it be the stupid people that overtake the open space the force them into conflict with me? Might be a better solution! Another subject, sorry;))
I had one hit me a couple of years ago on my motorcycle, cleaned the saddlebag off the bike, I stayed up, so for that I was happy!

The deer around here are pretty bold. It's illegal to shoot them in town, or up on the mountain where I live & the deer seem to know it. Not only will they come eat your unfenced garden & windfall fruit, (especially pears!) they'll stand just on the other side of the fence from a big, barking dog and stamp & snort, even the does. They'll walk right thru town, even in broad daylight, dodging traffic & running down the street. Every time I see one in the yard, I can't help but look around & wonder if I could pop one & get it in the garage without getting caught. I'm not a poacher, but there are times when it's sorely tempting to become one. ;)
Regards, GF.

We have the same problem around here. Deer,ducks & coyotes in the backyard. but we're in the suburbs so I can't shoot them. forget having a garden. Them & the birds destroy everything. I hate the flocks of Starlings around here. And all the water features around businesses around here increasing the Canadian Goose population. Scads of them all over the place. Pit BBQ'd goose is damn good too...

Back