Deep Fry Turkey in Brew Kettle ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke2080

Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So no better place to ask this question about using my brewing equipment to deep fry a turkey....

I have an old brew kettle that I'm not using - a 15 G sankey keg with a brewmometer and a sight gauage. I have a new one, but I've hung onto this as a backup.

First - can I even use this? I would need a different thermometer for the oil, but can I leve in the brewmometer or would this break under the more intense heat? And what about my sight guage?

I have O-Ring inside the brew kettle, which would clearly need to be replaced after, but would they even hold up to this?

And maybe this is overkill for a pot size. Since this is my first one and no one is relying on this turkey for Thanksgiving, I only intend to do a 5-8 lbs bird.

I do have a 5 gallon stainless pot, with no fittings. Just don't think this is big enough for anything bigger then a quail or something. But I'm thinking - I've got a banjo burner, propane tanks, and I like to boil things. And I love deep fried turkey, so lets step it up and make one.

Any suggestions for using the old brew equipment without wrecking it? Or should I just go pay the $50 or whatever and get a pot specifically for this. (I do need some way to get the turkey in and out of the hot oil)

Also - taking any tips to make this a killer bird. Looking into dry rubs and things to inject now.

I wouldn't put oil in any vessel that I planned on brewing beer in later. The oil would kill your head retention down the road...

I think for the price of the extra oil you'll need to cover the bird in the sanke keg you could just buy that $20 30qt aluminum pot from Academy Sports. It comes with the turkey holder thing, injector and thermometer. And when you're done, the oil will wash right off with dishwashing liquid.

Academy - Outdoor Gourmet 30 qt. Aluminum Pot Kit

I'm going to deep fry a turkey in my aluminum boil kettle on thursday. I wont even think twice about it. Dawn takes grease out of the way;)

I wasn't worried about the residual oil - that will clean out. I was more worried about the other pieces of equipment like the brewmometer and the site guage under the additional heat.

I don't want to buy a new pot that I'll use twice a year - I have enough things lying around. But I'd also needto rig something to get the bird in and out...so I may just buy the whole setup minus my burner. If I can find some place cheap (not wanting to pay for delivery)

5 gallon is fine that is what my turkey fryer is. Also have done 5 turkeys several chickens and scotch eggs also been used to dye fabric and of course multiple batches of beer.

for the hanger thing to pick up the fried turkey, a good tip is to mount that hanger to something larger. We use a hockey stick who's blade is shot. attach the hanger to the stick, that way both people are far enough away from the oil, easier to pick it up too.

I wouldn't risk the add-on equip when frying. The 5 gal pot should be plenty for something that small, unless it's a pretty wide pot then you might not get total coverage. My 7.5 gal pot is rated for a 16lb turkey.

And I too will be frying a turkey Thurs in my 7.5 gal SS brewpot. Like I've done many times. The weldless ball valve makes it soooo nice to drain the oil.

I didn't think you could fit a 16 lbs turkey into a 7.5 G pot. If thats the case I'll use the 5 G pot I have. I was worried about the site gauge melting away - but if my 5 G pot fits then I have no issues. Just need to build a wire rig to dip it in and out.

I guess I could go buy the turkey and put i in the pot I intend to use, and buy a new pot if needed.

This will definitely give me something to do besides talk to the girlfriend's family. Maybe I'll start a fire and add sprinkle with danger.

It is reccomended to not fry anything over 14lbs. Even 14 is pushing it. I have a 13.5lb one and am looking for a smaller one.

dataz722 said:
It is reccomended to not fry anything over 14lbs. Even 14 is pushing it. I have a 13.5lb one and am looking for a smaller one.

Really I have fried 18 pound turkeys with no problems lots of times

Really I have fried 18 pound turkeys with no problems lots of times

I have just heard that the problem is from the fact that it cooks so quickly. With larger birds the outside is done and the middle still has a long way to go so by the time time whole thing is done the outside is overcooked.

dataz722 said:
I have just heard that the problem is from the fact that it cooks so quickly. With larger birds the outside is done and the middle still has a long way to go so by the time time whole thing is done the outside is overcooked.

Huh I never had that problem I always leave them in for the predetermined time and they have always been cooked throughout and juicy I also inject the hell out of my bird

Question, which I may start a new thread for if I can't find an answer.....

Can I just use some tongs to put in and get the bird back out? I only have a 7.5 lbs bird, in my 5G pot. Since its the brew kettle from my stove top cooking days, I don't have any stand/hanger getup to put the bird in and out.

I realize I need to put the bird in slowly, which I can do with tongs. Any reason why not to do this? I wouldn't think so, but everyone online seems intent to use hangers and such.

Sub question - any one know where I can get a thermometer rated high enough for use with this, that I can pin to the side of the kettle? Nothing I have goes to 350+, and nothing that would work at the grocery store.

Further sub question - I plan to filter the used oil and bottle into a bunch of 22 oz bombers to save the oil for re-use at a later date. I hear that is ok - does that sound ok to you brewing and meat making experts?

I don't see why tongs wouldn't work as long as u can get a gi Joe kung foo grip on them so u don't drop it in the oil.
U can get a temp at Walmart or academy sports.
I store the oil in the containers it came in.
Good luck and have fun

Question, which I may start a new thread for if I can't find an answer.....

Can I just use some tongs to put in and get the bird back out? I only have a 7.5 lbs bird, in my 5G pot. Since its the brew kettle from my stove top cooking days, I don't have any stand/hanger getup to put the bird in and out.

I realize I need to put the bird in slowly, which I can do with tongs. Any reason why not to do this? I wouldn't think so, but everyone online seems intent to use hangers and such.

Sub question - any one know where I can get a thermometer rated high enough for use with this, that I can pin to the side of the kettle? Nothing I have goes to 350+, and nothing that would work at the grocery store.

Further sub question - I plan to filter the used oil and bottle into a bunch of 22 oz bombers to save the oil for re-use at a later date. I hear that is ok - does that sound ok to you brewing and meat making experts?

I would not use tongs at all. Hell i don't even use a hanger. I got all the stuff to do Alton Browns turkey derrick and it works great. You need to be able to lower it very slowly all the while grease will be splatter all over and some on you. If you do it too quickly or god forbid drop it scalding hot oil will go all over you and you will be spending thanksgiving in the ER.

The thermo you should be able to get at an kitchen store and target/walmart etc. It will be a 12"+ stem and will have a little clip that will clip over the side of the pot.

Nothing wrong with storing the oil at all.

I would not use tongs at all. Hell i don't even use a hanger. I got all the stuff to do Alton Browns turkey derrick and it works great. You need to be able to lower it very slowly all the while grease will be splatter all over and some on you. If you do it too quickly or god forbid drop it scalding hot oil will go all over you and you will be spending thanksgiving in the ER.

The thermo you should be able to get at an kitchen store and target/walmart etc. It will be a 12"+ stem and will have a little clip that will clip over the side of the pot.

Nothing wrong with storing the oil at all.

Will make a stop at Walmart tomorrow then.

Its a light turkey, and I plan to be equipped with pants, a long sleeve shirt, and oven mitts. So while i'll probably use the tongs and keep a kung fu grip, if I find some place that has the guts for the turkey lower piece (without buying a new pot) I'll probably grab it.

I will just let the oil cool and funnel it back into its containers. I don't know why I thought it would be smart to throw them in other bottles. Had IPA on the brain.

my 7.5 gallon pot didn't look tall enough for m 13.5 LB bird, the ones marketed for frying are narrower and taller (the 5 gal i got is 15.5 inches tall, my 7.5 gal kettle is just under 12)

i made alton brown's "Turkey Derrick" the video is on youtube if you want to build it, about $15 in parts if you already have the ladder.

How do you guys filter your oil? How long can you keep the oil?
I used a collander, t-shirt filter and a five gallon bucket. Then back into the origonal container.

Here is my 11lb bird I fried up

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

ForumRunner_20111126_223254.jpg

ForumRunner_20111126_223341.jpg

Success! I bought a candy thermometer to attach to the side, and used tongs on my 7.5 lbs turkey. worked like a charm, although it was a bit difficult to get the initial grip on the turkey (one tong down through the neck, the other outside) to where I was comfortable standing over the oil and slowly lowering it, but it worked.

Next time I'll definitely get a rig to lower the bird down better.

I also had my first failure. After the turkey came out wonderfully, I tried to cook up two huge legs. Maybe 5 lbs each. After 20 minutes, they were still 120* in the middle. I think they were too think for frying - I did have my oil back up to 350. Had to stick them in the oven afterwards to finish the cooking.

I did filter the oil using a normal fullen and strainer, back into the original containers. Once I'm out of turkey, I'm looking forward to frying up another.

Also - my turkey received not so secret rave reviews, putting the oven cooked turkey to shame. :) I did feel a little bad for the host, since I stole the show.

Back