Decreasing from 3G to 2G boil to aid in cooling time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azlane

Reaction score
The last time I had a 3 gallon boil for a 5G batch, I had a much harder time getting down to pitching temp. I was wondering if it is okay to decrease the boil to 2G (or 2.5G) so that I can add 3G of cold water to arrive at a 5G batch and reach pitching temps easier?

My usual technique is to add chilled water and a couple of ice blocks to get the batch up to 5G and temp down to pitching range for my extract (with specialty grain) batches.

Thanks
Drew

The last time I had a 3 gallon boil for a 5G batch, I had a much harder time getting down to pitching temp. I was wondering if it is okay to decrease the boil to 2G (or 2.5G) so that I can add 3G of cold water to arrive at a 5G batch and reach pitching temps easier?

My usual technique is to add chilled water and a couple of ice blocks to get the batch up to 5G and temp down to pitching range for my extract (with specialty grain) batches.

Thanks
Drew

No. You want the largest boil volume possible. Add the chilled top off water and use an ice bath if necessary.

Mother F'er.

Had a long drawn out reply and went to hit the Alt +(2,4,8) to make my ° sign and didn't have the number lock on and screwed myself out of a good post. To make this short because I don't want to type it all again.....

Make 5 gallon batches.

Get a turkey fryer from Wally World.

Start out at 6+ gallons of good water.

You're in AZ. It is hot. A immersion chiller will bring it down some (100°), but you will still need it cooler. Ice in sink/tub/tote.

Don't waste money on ice. Fill leftover water bottles/milk jugs/pop bottles with water and freeze them.

Since in AZ I am sure you will have to keep everything cool during fermentation, so don't be afraid to put the wort in that to cool down before adding your yeast.

Thanks for the inputs. I am going to try sitting my kettle in the sink surrounded by some ice water to help speed the cooling process.

The need to maximize the boil volume escapes me. If you are going to "water down" the boil to reach 5G anyway, it seems that the concentration will ultimately be the same?

I'm in AZ too and cooling wort this time of year is tough, especially without an chiller of some kind. GenIke is right, boiling with the full volume of water is ideal. You get better hop utilization, flavor improves, color improves, the list goes on. Do a quick search on here and the reasons will be explained by people more knowledgeable than me.

That being said, I made a lot of delicious beer with partial boils. Plus, when you're just getting into this hobby you generally don't have the equipment that's necessary to do full volume boils (8 gal brew pot, stove or burner that will actually boil that volume, chiller etc.)

I wouldn't recommend dropping below 3 gals on the boil. But what you can do is boil, then add ice directly into the fermenter as a substitute for your top off water. An 8lb bag of ice equals about 1 gallon of water. I did this many times with great results. The wort is chilled in a matter of minutes, instead of hours.

If you want to be extra careful, make sanitized ice yourself by first boiling water then putting it in ice trays and freezing it. Or if that sounds like too much work, find a reputable place that sells ice that's been made from RO water. There's a risk here of contaminating your wort if the ice is dirty, so don't buy any ripped or dirty bags. But I used store bought ice many times with no infection issues. You decide if you're comfortable with the risk.

The great thing about this hobby is that its scalable. Sure more advanced equipment will produce better results. But you can make good beer without it. Be creative and make what you have work until you're ready to take the next step.:mug:

The need to maximize the boil volume escapes me. If you are going to "water down" the boil to reach 5G anyway, it seems that the concentration will ultimately be the same?

It's more about the chemical processes that take place within your wort during the boil. Not only are you sanitizing the wort during the boil (you don't really want to add unsanatized water afterwards if you don't have to), but hop utilization is very different at different wort densities. Namely, alpha acid utilization is much lower at higher wort densities - you need that extra water.

You definitely want to figure out how to cool more quickly, but not at the expense of proper volumes. Save up some $$ and get a 50 foot immersion chiller. You are in a big city, you should be able to find a used one on Craigslist or even here on HBT for around $40-50. No more icebath!

Thanks everyone. I am glad I asked this question (my searching tries were not successful as I had a hard time wording the query correctly).

This forum is always a great resource!

Back