Decompression Ale clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
Recently my girlfriend got me one month in a brew club, and my favorite of the beers received was Maritime Pacifics Decompression Ale. It is an American strong ale, I am new to brewing so don't really know where to start.

Any hints or tips would be great, even a standard base for an American strong ale. Thanks!

So, it's pretty much a IIPA with a little extra body...so maybe closer to a lower gravity barley wine.

Here are some links to barleywines/strong ale recipes.
And some IIPAs..somewhere in here..

Try something like this recipe...but scale down the malt a little bit to make it closer to 1.080

Or something like this:

10 lbs. - 2 row or Maris Otter (Maybe toast 2 or 3 pounds)
3 lbs. - Vienna Malt
1 lb. - Honey Malt (the description mentioned some sweeter flavors?
1 lb. - Crystal 60

And then lots of late additions of Falconer's Flight hops, if you can get it..otherwise lots of American hops..maybe you can search to see if people have found a good substitue blend for Falconer's Flight.

Your Girlfriend likes good beer? And she likes HOPPY beer?! She's a keeper. :rockin:

Thank you for your response! I will give this a shot, I will probably scale it down to 2.5 gallons because of my setup or lack of one and the amount of grains it takes. I will look around about the hops and order the supplies in the next couple weeks.

Ill update this when I get brewing!

On second thought, 1 pound of honey malt might be a bit much. I've personally never used it, and apparently it's very potent.

Have you looked at some of the stovetop partial/all-grain brewing methods or Brew-In-A-Bag (BIAB)? If not, check them out. They are very informative, and I use much of the information from the threads in my set up.

I found that morebeer.com has falconers flight hops! I need to figure out how I would do the hop aditions. I might try a 1 gallon batch to see how close I can get it

There are also some on ebay, 20 and some change for 8 oz including shipping.

Back