Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I get some of those empty bottles that have science experiments growing in them, I don't even bother to expend the energy to clean them. They simply go into my recycling bin, which is collected weekly. And if we did not have a recycling program, those bottles would end up in the landfill. Some are simply NOT worth the effort.

glenn514:mug:

I started brewing with a stack of equipment, an old copy of Pappazians book, and 6 cases of bottles. All for $25. The bottles had been sitting for about 7 years, and they were dirty, after I had soaked some, baby mice floated out of the bottles. That was gross... But I found that a soak, an hour to a day, in 5 gallons of water with 3 tbsp of PbW always cleaned em up. Labels have been tougher to remove than the gunk inside

So im going to brew this tomorrow. PLugged it into Beersmith and the IBUs read way high compared to the listed front page recipe - like 35. with same AA and such. Whats the difference?

I bought 22 cases (264 bottles) from someone that quit home brewing. I found a receipt in one of the boxes that was dated 1983 (older than me!)

I soaked them in hot water with soap, then scrubbed them with a brush until they were shiny clean inside and out, then soaked them in hot bleach solution for minimum 1 hour. Then rinsed several times with hot water, shot some starsan inside, then left them to dry upside down.

The whole process took 2 weeks off/on

No contamination yet :mug:

I bought 22 cases (264 bottles) from someone that quit home brewing. I found a receipt in one of the boxes that was dated 1983 (older than me!)

I soaked them in hot water with soap, then scrubbed them with a brush until they were shiny clean inside and out, then soaked them in hot bleach solution for minimum 1 hour. Then rinsed several times with hot water, shot some starsan inside, then left them to dry upside down.

The whole process took 2 weeks off/on

No contamination yet :mug:

Well played sir, well played!

Sams units and volume as the Main post, probably just something weird in beersmith. 8 ibu probably not a big deal anyway. I thought last night it was 21 ibu in the recipe post.

Made the extract recipe on Sunday, accidentally poured the whole 1oz bag of hops in instead of measuring out .75oz (I doubt this will make a big difference). 1.062 OG. Bubbling away after just a few hours.

Thinking about adding some vanilla after it's done fermenting. Would want it to be subtle, so probably only 1 bean - anyone have any thoughts on this?

Update - cracked open the first bottle yesterday, and it was great despite the fact that FG was 1.023...quite a few points higher than expected. I didn't end up adding the vanilla.

Thanks OP for the great recipe, and thanks to everyone else for your contribution to the thread

I'm trying to order everything for this recipe, but I have several questions:
- When buying the grain, should I get the whole grains or crushed versions?
- Are they (cara/chryst, chocolate malt, barley) steeped at around 155 for about 15 minutes prior to beginning the boil?

Hi bill! Yes, if you're doing the extract version, you need to get the crushed grains, and steep them just like you described. Remember to take the grain out before heating up the water though, you don't want them in there much above 160!

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster. :)

I am making this stout as i'm typing this, but i made a (huge?) mistake. When the wort was coming to a boil i added the DME but grabbed the lactose instead... I am panicking now and have no idea what to do. I continued to follow the recipe and the wort is now boiling.

Should i add some more lactose the last 10 minutes of the boil or leave it as is ? And what will the effect be when the beer is finished will it still be drinkable or have an off flavor ?

I totally messed up what gives the beer its name... cream stout... When i figured out my mistake i was ready to hang myself :cross:

I haven't made this yet but I've got it saved to make soon. You should be fine, as long as the lactose and DME did get added. Lactose is just unfermentable sugar, and the reason it is added late is (mostly) preference by most people, and by adding the sugar sooner, you changed the hop utilization some.

Is your beer ruined? Not in the least.

Will the IBU's be slightly off? Yes, but probably not enough that it'll make it go from good to bad. If you want to know how it effects in numbers, put the info into beersmith, brewtoad, or brewers friend and check it out.

Cheers! :mug:

I haven't made this yet but I've got it saved to make soon. You should be fine, as long as the lactose and DME did get added. Lactose is just unfermentable sugar, and the reason it is added late is (mostly) preference by most people, and by adding the sugar sooner, you changed the hop utilization some.

Will the IBU's be slightly off? Yes, but probably not enough that it'll make it go from good to bad. If you want to know how it effects in numbers, put the info into beersmith, brewtoad, or brewers friend and check it out.

You're a

You're a life saver, so i shouldn't be worried. :tank:

It will still have that creamy taste right ? I have made this beer before and i got hooked, i got a few beers under my belt but i still panic like crazy when i make a mistake and then not knowing what the effect of it will be.
Should i add like 3.5 oz the last 10 minutes or just leave it ?

Apparently i made a mistake and posted double, sorry.

You're a life saver, so i shouldn't be worried. :tank:

It will still have that creamy taste right ? I have made this beer before and i got hooked, i got a few beers under my belt but i still panic like crazy when i make a mistake and then not knowing what the effect of it will be.
Should i add like 3.5 oz the last 10 minutes or just leave it ?

Apparently i made a mistake and posted double, sorry.

It won't hurt to add a little more at 10. As long as you add the full amount for the recipe (or for your preference, as nothing says you can't deviate!). I still freak out myself about mistakes, but as always I come back to the key question: What did I do wrong and how does it effect the final product?

Well its in the fermenter took an OG and its 1068, that's 10 points more then what OP had. Dunno what caused it but i doubt it will make a differents. Now to leave it in the fermenter for a month and cherish the last 7 bottles i have from the last batch i made :mug:

Thanks again for the help.

Brewed my 2nd batch of this yesterday. Used Denny's Favorite this time, beer was a little thin with US-05, hoping the different yeast will help in that regard.

It was my first time with a liquid yeast, made a 1L starter. Increased crystal and lactose by .25, decreased wheat by .5. OG came out at 1056 this time, which is right where I wanted it. Had 1072 the first time. The Denny's has already taken off, love it when my beer starts bubbling the same day I brew!

Having made this once before, I'm not going to be so anxious this time...will just wait my 2 months before my first taste. June isn't too far away....

Mine has been in the better bottle since jan 17th! Finally gonna bottle it this weekend and I'm thinking about stopping the siphon with 1 gallon left in the bottling bucket and adding vanilla extract, however I have no idea how much to add for a gallon of beer. I am looking for a hint of vanilla for complexity not overpowering vanilla flavor. Any insight?

If you only want a hint I would go with around an 1/8th to 1/4 of a tsp. Go light and taste after adding, can always add more. If you end up with more vanilla in the taste than you'd like give it a few weeks in the bottle, it fades quick.

Brewed my 2nd batch of this yesterday. Used Denny's Favorite this time, beer was a little thin with US-05, hoping the different yeast will help in that regard.

It was my first time with a liquid yeast, made a 1L starter. Increased crystal and lactose by .25, decreased wheat by .5. OG came out at 1056 this time, which is right where I wanted it. Had 1072 the first time. The Denny's has already taken off, love it when my beer starts bubbling the same day I brew!

Having made this once before, I'm not going to be so anxious this time...will just wait my 2 months before my first taste. June isn't too far away....

Moving this batch to secondary. Grabbed a sample for hydrometer testing. 1023, which puts me at 4.5%. I thought that seemed a little low, double checked beersmith, and lo and behold, that was their estimated ABV. After I was done with my measurements...I sampled the prize. Wow! It's a winner. Even with the low ABV, it's a heck of a beer. As you drink it, you get a sweetness that starts to pull you in, thinking it's a sweet beer, only to have it disappear into the dark roastiness. What an awesome brew!

Mine is coming up on 5 months I think, and it's already great after 3-4 months. Just bottled my second batch, using 1lb sugar (.5lb last time), half on 2oz of espresso. I'm thinking it was a little much. The last batch had a great balance, just a touch shy on the coffee taste I was going for, but it was with regular, old coffee. This one has a stronger coffee presence, as to be expected. We'll see how it goes.

Excited to work up an "Imperial" version for some oak/bourbon treatment.

Popped my first espresso bottle tonight. A little sweet but still like a carmel macchiato or something. Great beer that will get better with age

Chilled one of these overnight, considering going to toss a line out in the lake and sip on it of the weather holds out for a few hours

Brewing a 5G/BIAB using the original AG recipe from page 1 this evening. Looking forward to it! I will be using WL Cali V vial instead of the recommended WY1450, as it was the best I could do. Any recommendations for adjustments to make up for the loss of mouth-feel, and general thinner body I may get? Maybe bump my mash up a bit(~155)? Or other suggestions? TIA.

Could mash higher, like you said mid 150's, could add 1lb of oats, or could add some maltodextrine.

Thanks Bolus14. I will probably leave the bill alone and mash a little higher. I will want to brew again and would like to be able to pick out the difference in yeast only. Brew on!

Scaled this to 6 gallons and (thankfully) actually yielded about that! After about 4 weeks in bottle I'm beginning to understand where the "Deception" comes in. This is a wonderful recipe and I can't wait to brew batch #2!

Haven't tried one in a couple weeks considering letting them and my strong ale sit til winter

So I had original thoughts of imperializing this recipe some in Beersmith, but i'm worried it will end up far too sweet. I decided to up it to 10% just to see and its saying my FG will be around 1.04....im wondering if the Lactose is even needed at this level? Pulling it out drops it to 1.029. I love the flavor profile of it and want to make a beefier version to age with oak and bourbon, maybe i'll just go to a RIS instead.

Just brewed a batch of this up today looks and tastes delicious. OG came in at a 1.06 used Nottingham yeast otherwise everything was spot on! Cheers and thanks for posting this recipe.

and boom..... now I remember why I ferment in 7.5 gallon buckets.

IMG_1616.jpg

Cheers to the victor! Mine sits 5 weeks in primary under a sleeping bag in my basement. Waiting for keg room. Brewed from the OP recipe. Looking forward.

Back