Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a glass - this is the real friggin deal! Thanks NCbeernut! Definitely added to the 'will keep on tap' list!

Brewed this earlier this winter (extract) with only a few small substitutions to the grain bill (I think some of the malts are called different things by different maltsters... I used an online grain substitution chart). Fermented with US-05.

Had a slight metallic off-taste right off the bat, but that mellowed out after a few weeks. It's now tasting awesome... One of my best beers ever, and I will brew it again.

This is my next brew, I had only tried guiness up until 2 months ago and I wasn't a fan and all I ever heard is how bad stouts are and so I wrote them off.

Then I had a bells double cream stout on nitrogen and it got me hooked

Now I enjoy cream milk, and oatmeal stouts. Can't wait to try this

Bought the ingredients for a 5 gallon batch all grain today however I accidentally purchased us magnum instead of German magnum...hope it still turns out well

Blowing off so much co2 that it woke swmbo up startled at 4:15 this morning...her reaction was not the same excitement I had, lots of krausen flowing through the blowoff tube

You needed just a bit more head room, my friend. I must admit, mine was in a bucket, nearly as full and I blew the lid. Haha this is a good recipe.

You needed just a bit more head room, my friend. I must admit, mine was in a bucket, nearly as full and I blew the lid. Haha this is a good recipe.

Yea I used a sparge calculator and I mustve missed my estimate on grain absorption and boil off.

I haven't lost much though just lots of krausen went to the blowoff container, its calmed down now I believe I'm going to switch to airlock and place in closet with the light ale and Irish red. Eventually I have a batch ready to drink

I have turned this into more of a milk stout by upping the lactose to a full lb and I was surfing the forum while having a nesquik strawberry milk and got the idea to rack a gallon of deception onto 1.5 lbs of strawberries in a 2 gallon fermentation bucket.

However, so I googled strawberry milk stout and seen that Saugatuck brewing makes a Neapolitan milk stout and so now I'm thinking ill rack 3 gallons to a 5 gallon fermenter and one gallon to secondary in the aforementioned fashion and then the final gallon in the same way except with 1.5 lbs of strawberry and a vanilla bean....thoughts?

Would love to try this but not a real coffee fan, how big is the coffee flavor? Should I alter the roasted vs chocolate malt?

And if I were to put it over some coconut how much for a 3-4 Gallon batch? Like 8 Oz? Less?

Would love to try this but not a real coffee fan, how big is the coffee flavor? Should I alter the roasted vs chocolate malt?

And if I were to put it over some coconut how much for a 3-4 Gallon batch? Like 8 Oz? Less?

I wouldn't say it has a strong coffee flavor. I made the recipe with the only exception being I used 6 lbs 2 row and 2 lbs wheat. This may be the most sessionable stout I've ever had. Very tasty and balanced. If you add coconut, maybe go light on it?

When I made it there wasn't really any coffee to it, little roast but I wouldn't say coffee. The chocolate and caramel malt flavor was what I picked up on most.

Planning on doing a 10 gal AG version of this tomorrow it sounds awesome!
I do have 1 question however. I changed the lactose to .25 lbs from the original .5 for a 5 gallon batch to try and just pull a little sweetness through without actually getting a milk stout feel. My wife just talked me into making it a 10 gal, so I'm doing 2 5 gal mashes (since there's no way to fit that much grain in the mash tun) and boiling it together. Should i double the lactose as well to .5lbs and toss it in the boil like normal?

I made this today with extract. My homebrew store didn't have small tubs of wheat so I used pale LME instead. They said it was odd there was wheat in a stout recipe. How will the flavour change since I used pale instead of wheat?

I used liquid extract and rounded up to the nearest pound so I used 6lbs of Amber LME and 2lbs of pale LME. I used crystal 60L instead of caramel.
My OG was around 1.060

Tasted good when I took the reading, excited to try it in a few weeks!

Made the extract recipe on Sunday, accidentally poured the whole 1oz bag of hops in instead of measuring out .75oz (I doubt this will make a big difference). 1.062 OG. Bubbling away after just a few hours.

Thinking about adding some vanilla after it's done fermenting. Would want it to be subtle, so probably only 1 bean - anyone have any thoughts on this?

I made this today with extract. My homebrew store didn't have small tubs of wheat so I used pale LME instead. They said it was odd there was wheat in a stout recipe. How will the flavour change since I used pale instead of wheat?

I used liquid extract and rounded up to the nearest pound so I used 6lbs of Amber LME and 2lbs of pale LME. I used crystal 60L instead of caramel.
My OG was around 1.060

Tasted good when I took the reading, excited to try it in a few weeks!

My understanding is that the Wheat is there for head retention more than anything

After a week i am at 1.022, how much could this drop in the next week? I used wyeast Irish ale yeast cake from my previous stout

Thanks

Brewed on Dec 22, followed extract recipe, used safale US-05. Primary was 2 weeks, kegged on day 15. OG was 1.072, FG was 1.018. Feb 10 was the first time it didn't taste too green. Carbed and chilled. Today, on Feb 17, after nearly 60 days, it's awesome!!! This recipe will get a permanent slot in my rotation. I think it still needs a little something, but a little experimenting (or time) will perhaps tune it. Thank you!!

So this is tasting like it may be my best yet, maybe just because I love a good roasty sweet stout though. I will be bottling this tonight, splitting it with half on some cold pressed coffee.

My question for those bottling, is how much sugar did you use? I made a Chocolate PB stout that is as close to bottle bombs as I've ever had, and it makes it nearly undrinkable waiting for the endless foam to die off. I really don't want to over carb this, and am unsure how the style reacts to bottling sugar. I used the tasty brew calculator and its telling me 3.7oz of priming sugar?

I used 3oz of table sugar when I made this, and I thought it was carbed just a tad more than I wanted. Some liked it how it was but I thought going with 2.7 or 2.8 would've made it just a little bit more silky. 3.7oz I think you'll find to be too much, but then again everybody's liking is different.

I've only ever used the 5oz the kits include, I guess I need to work out my carb issues. Most have been overcarbed it seems.... I'll drop it down to like 3.5 or so.

I used 3oz of table sugar when I made this, and I thought it was carbed just a tad more than I wanted. Some liked it how it was but I thought going with 2.7 or 2.8 would've made it just a little bit more silky. 3.7oz I think you'll find to be too much, but then again everybody's liking is different.

Great info - I just checked
http://www.homebrewdad.com/priming_sugar_calculator.php

And 2.8oz of sucrose (table sugar) is the same as 3.05oz dextrose (corn sugar) so I will use your suggestion just like the 2 volumes the author mentioned on page 1.

Bottling today! :mug:

I think I used about 3.25 oz corn sugar and so far, after a little over a week, there was not much in the way of carbonation. I'll be trying another one this weekend, after a little more than 2 weeks, and see how it goes. Even uncarbonated, I could tell this is going to be a good one!

What's the ambient temp where the bottles are at? I usually have a good amount of carbonation within a week, mine get put in a room that's low to mid 70's to carb then moved to 55-60 degree closet.

Ive had them in the kitchen of my house, where it varies from 60-75 or so throughout the day right now. I don't have any rooms warmer than that.

I tried one after 8 days in the bottle and it is great! Definitely taste the roastiness...can't wait for the other flavours to develop!

I popped one of mine yesterday from my Half coffee batch, loved it. Carbonation is coming along, still not quite what I hoped. I should have used better coffee than the old dry Maxwell junk I had lying around. Just figured id try it out. I like the way the coffee comes through and keeps juuuust enough sweetness. Really digging it. I'll have to try another of the standard batch soon.

Thanks for the great recipe! One of my best brews!

Was talking about bottling one of two beers I have in better bottles yesterday with a fellow homebrewer and realized that my batch of deception has been in the fermenter for exactly 2 mths. I'd say its done, still not sure if this is the one I'm going to bottle today however. Some doubts have arisen about my bottle cleaning process and I love cream/milk stouts so if a batch gets ruined I don't want this one to be it.

Was talking about bottling one of two beers I have in better bottles yesterday with a fellow homebrewer and realized that my batch of deception has been in the fermenter for exactly 2 mths. I'd say its done, still not sure if this is the one I'm going to bottle today however. Some doubts have arisen about my bottle cleaning process and I love cream/milk stouts so if a batch gets ruined I don't want this one to be it.

What is your bottle cleaning process? I give all my rinsed bottles a 1 hour soak in PBW (or longer if needed to remove labels), then rinse, wash in blue Dawn, rinse and store. On bottling day, rinse inside and out and put in the oven at 220 for 30 minutes... Havn't had an infection... Yet

Wow..... that's intense. I just rinse with water after drinking to get anything out, or let it soak with pbw if its got some mold in it from sitting too long with beer in it. Soak in Star San for a minute or two, drip dry on a sanitized bottling tree. Never had an issue.

What is your bottle cleaning process? I give all my rinsed bottles a 1 hour soak in PBW (or longer if needed to remove labels), then rinse, wash in blue Dawn, rinse and store. On bottling day, rinse inside and out and put in the oven at 220 for 30 minutes... Havn't had an infection... Yet

I soaked them in oxyclean overnight used my bottle brush in my cordless drill and some still had a residue

Just a quick rinse after drinking to get rid of the gunk or a bottle brush if it gets moldy. Then run them through the dishwasher on sanitize cycle and they're good to go. Not a bottle infection yet.

Rinsing after drinking has helped, however some of these were donated or bought empty from the liquor store so they're pretty rough.

I think I managed to get 55 of them clean enough. Now I have to come up with another 50+ bottles to get deception into bottles.

Unfortunately, empty fermenters bug me so ill have to brew again and then be right back to the same problem ha ha

Latest posts

Back