Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've going to attempt this recipe as my first BIAB, and I have a couple questions.

Is the all grain recipe good for BIAB, or do I need to increase the base grain? I've read some people will increase the base grain when adjusting an all grain recipe for BIAB in order to increase efficiency.

Any recommendations for strike temp, and mash out temp? I'm trying to use beersmith for the first time and I'm a little confused about what I need to enter to get these temperatures.

Thanks.

I've going to attempt this recipe as my first BIAB, and I have a couple questions.

Is the all grain recipe good for BIAB, or do I need to increase the base grain? I've read some people will increase the base grain when adjusting an all grain recipe for BIAB in order to increase efficiency.

Any recommendations for strike temp, and mash out temp? I'm trying to use beersmith for the first time and I'm a little confused about what I need to enter to get these temperatures.

Thanks.

I do BIAB and there is no need to increase the malts. you might consider double crushing your grains that helped my efficiency. My local Homebrew store recommended mashing at 156 so that would be a 168 strike temperature. And I will use about 18 quarts of water and than fly sparge (rinse the grains) with another 2 gallons roughly to get my target boil of 6.5 gallons

I brewed the AG version of this last night. The only changes I made were: I used warrior hops because I had an ounce, I used the full pound of lactose and I used WLP013. Hit my numbers and had it chilled and in a carboy by 10pm. I woke up at 4:40 this morning to finish cleaning the kitchen and when I checked on the beer it was already chugging away. I am really glad I took the advice of all the people who said "Use a blow-off tube". I've never had one take off so fast or strong. It smells a lot like coffee down there.

[QUOTE It smells a lot like coffee down there.[/QUOTE]

HAHA, there's an ointment for that you know.

So I did this as my first BIAB. 5.5 batch 1.065 OG. 73% efficiency. Not bad for my first time doing BIAB, I barely even made any mistakes! After about 24 hours I have a small krausen, but nothing compared to some of the comments I've seen in this thread. I'm hoping it continues to pick up, because this will be the first time I'll actually need a blow off tube if so.

Some pics for your enjoyment.

My 1st time brewing this. All Grain. I just discovered stouts. I love 'em. Not everyday, it's got to be perfect. Winter is the time. I've never had an oatmeal stout, or a breakfast stout. I've had coffee stouts & cream stouts.

This smells terrific! And you're right, a blow off tube was mandatory. I'm going to age it 2 months before I drink it from the keg. It will be ready in December.

I can't wait.

So I did this as my first BIAB. 5.5 batch 1.065 OG. 73% efficiency. Not bad for my first time doing BIAB, I barely even made any mistakes! After about 24 hours I have a small krausen, but nothing compared to some of the comments I've seen in this thread. I'm hoping it continues to pick up, because this will be the first time I'll actually need a blow off tube if so.

Some pics for your enjoyment.

How do you have your fermentation heater hooked up? temp controller?

I'm about to make this beer doing an extract and I wanted to know how much water should I boil? Beersmith tells me to start off with 6.46 gal pre-boil. However I'm concerned I won't be able to reach that boil using my electric stove. I have an 8 gallon kettle. Also I was looking to up the lactose to 1lb and Wheat and Amber extract to 2lb and 5lb just to boost the abv. My new calculated SG should be 1.07. Would I need to adjust my hops if adding more DME and lactose?

How do you have your fermentation heater hooked up? temp controller?

Temperature control is fine. I was using an oxygen tank and diffusion stone for the first time with this batch and didn't give it enough oxygen, so I'm pretty sure that's why the krausen was so smell. Oh well, it'll still be (decent) beer when it's all done.

I am going to brew this tomorrow. I will be doing a yeast starter 1st time. Thought I was going to do an extract recipe, but changed my mind, last minutes. 5# DME, 2# wheat DME, 2# Maris Otter. A bit higher ABV, hope it turns out as good as the original. :mug:

I am going to brew this for Christmas, it will be my first non-IPA brew.

Can i "christmasify" it by putting in some spices or other stuff? I gonna serve it to BMC drinkers and non-beer drinkers so obvious spiciness and other flavours are a good thing. Glühwein/mulled wine is a good reference point for us, could putting in similar spices result in anything good?

I'm drinking this after a week in the new kegerator. I don't think I've ever had a beer's flavor change so dramatically over the course of one week.

Initially it was yeasty/estery with no roast or cream to it. I was considering there was a possible infection because the fermentation looked so weird - one day, no real krausen.

But by golly it just sort of turned on over the last couple days. It tasted like a different beer every day for the first week out of the keg.

With the lower end ABV I didn't really see the point to aging this thing for sooo long as some people have described (cellaring for four months?). But now I get it.

Brewed this back on 9/14. Used NortherBrewer for supplies so I did tweak a bit. I used 6lbs of amber LME and about 2.5 lbs of wheat LME.. Also primed with a bit of remaining wheat LME for with a target of 2.2 volumes.

It was a long 4 weeks in the Primary as it smelled amazing during brewing. Tried the first at about 6 days in the bottle and I was a bit worried as it had a very strong fruity flavor. I used 1098 Irish ale and it did brew on the higher end so I was worried that the temp crept up higher then I though and started to throw things off.

A few days later and it was a whole new world. A perceptible roasted flavor and a rich chocolatey finish. Only the slightest hint of the Magnum bringing things in line and rounding out the flavors. Bump ahead to two full weeks in the bottle and it keeps getting better. My carbonation is still a bit low but that is to be expected as I primed with LME and I'm expecting at least 3 to 4 weeks before it's where I want it.

Anyways thanks for the OP! I'm going to try hard to age a few bottles of this but I don't expect it to last.

Cheers!
Exst

Has anyone created a label for this yet? I'm trying to get some ideas but can't think of any ideas right now. Lol

IMXELITE said:
Has anyone created a label for this yet? I'm trying to get some ideas but can't think of any ideas right now. Lol
Due to the name there should be picture of a confused cow being milked. The "milk" should be the stout filling a pint glass.

I am planning on doing this recipe as my first BIAB (no sparge), so I just want to clarify a couple of things.

When I use the Simple BIAB calculator it recommends I start with 7.87 gallons of water with is almost 3 quarts per pound of grain, does that seem right?
31.48 qt / 10.75 lb = 2.93 qt/lb

Ingredient Amounts
Grain - 10.75 lb
Hops - .75 oz

Boil Info
Duration - 60 min
Boil off - 1 gal/hr

Volumes
Finished Beer - 5 gal
Fermentation Trub - .5 gal

Misc
Kettle Diameter - 15.75 in
Mash Temp - 152 f
No Mashout
Grain Temp - 60f

So if the 7.87 number is correct these steps / amounts would work, right?

1. Fill 10.5 Gallon kettle with ~8 gallons water
2. Heat to ~158.5 F
3. Add grains to the bag while stirring, turn off burner
4. Cover and wrap kettle with a towel and let mash for 60 minutes
5. After 60 min raise temp to 170 F for 10 min (mash out)
6. Pull bag and squeeze / drip until I have collected 6.5 gallons wort
7. Take pre-boil gravity reading (if too low add Pale DME? / too high add more water?), assuming it is correct turn up heat and boil for 60 min
8. Add hops per recipe schedule
9. Take Final OG reading
10. Cool the wort to 62 F and transfer to fermenter
11. Aerate for 5 min then pitch starter
12. Ferment until reaching FG

Thanks for all the help.

Hey all, I just brewed this Deception recipe last night and got an OG of only 1.050. Should I be concerned or do something because I didn't come close to the 1.060?

Personally, I would let it ride. You just didn't extract enough sugars. You could add a sugar (if you do, I would suggest a syrup made of dme to up the abv) or some bourbon. But in reality you probably didn't hit your mash temp. It happens. Relax, wait a while, and have a homebrew. You'll just end up with more of a session stout and make the necessary adjustments next time! It'll still be beer!

To kfun123...
Process looks good, but not an expert in BIAB. Have only ever done one and was never comfortable with the "wrap and mash". How are you going to cool? I assume ice bath? I didn't see any method of sanitation, is my only observation. Personal choice: unless my og is way, way off, I don't add dme or top off, but many do. Looks good though, have fun!

cublue,
I have a 20ft copper immersion cooler that I made for cooling. It has done a reasonable job in my extract batches and if needed I can put the kettle in a tub with some ice blocks. As for sanitation, I will scrub everything with a mild dish soap and then rinse the day before. For the brew day I will mix up a couple of gallons of starsan.

How far off is "way off" OG?
Thanks

Cooling and sanitation seem spot on. For the dish soap, I go with 7th generation free and clear on a non abrasive sponge and rinse well. Starsan is very good.
How low is too low? Up to you, what are you willing to accept? I haven't (in a long time been more that ~5pts off and that is acceptable to me). I just notate the difference and adjust accordingly next time. Some people are much more concerned with this than I tend to be. If I am going for 1.052, and I end up with less than 1.044, or I am really concerned the alcohol hit a certain point (never am) then I might consider post boil adjustments. Only you can answer that. I guess I figure, " who knows...maybe ill like it!" I have heard that BIAB can be more prone to fluxuation than traditional all grain.
You are doing all grain BIAB right, or is this a partial with extract?
How many brews with this set up?

cublue,
This will be all grain and it is my first run with this setup. Prior to this I have done 2 batches. The first was a partial boil extract brew, the second an extract full boil. When I saw the recipe for this beer I knew I wanted to make and when I added up what it would cost to do extract vs AG I decided to dive in.

Thanks for the help

I've got a case of Deception Stout that has been aging since April in my cellar. I'm saving it for first major snowstorm we have this winter (unwonted mayhem, roads closed, people frantically buying milk and bread, etc..). I'm just going to sit by my stove and drink some nice stout.

Kfun,
You'll be fine. I would just take meticulous notes so that you may better dial in your new set up, and adjust future batches with your own efficiency, heat loss, etc in mind. I did this recipe about a year ago, if I recall. It was good but not as creamy as I had hoped. It was one of my first few all grains as well. I made mistakes, had issues, and it was still good beer! It is a great recipe...forgiving. minor foul ups still produce an enjoyable product. I guess that is my main reason to let my mistakes ride out. Ask me sometime about my the blonde I totally screwed up last month...it is shaping up to be delicious! But that is for another thread.... :)

Am really wanting to use this as a base for something else. What is a good replacement for the Wyeast? My local homebrew shop does not carry the Wyeast anymore as it didn't sell very good. Would using a full pound of Lactose help with the creaminess? I am fairly new to the homebrew family so I don't really know all the little tricks in it yet. Instead of Whirlflock could I use Irish Moss? I am attempting to make a Creamy Chocolate Peppermint Stout. Any help will be apprreciated Thank You

I have never used peppermint in a beer, nor to my knowledge had a pepperminted brew...could be interesting. How were you planning to mint it? Yes the full pound of lactose will add more body and sweetness as it doesn't ferment. You could add the extra half pound when bottling, with the priming sugar, or during boil. If you are heartset on peppermint... I'd recommend actual extract (stay away from imitation) when bottling. Refer to earlier in the post to those that added vanilla for guidelines (if I were to, I might go less, peppermint being stronger than vanilla to my tastes). Peppermint little scary to me in beer...but could be good. Personally, having brewed this recipe...I'd stay as is.

Oh, and your yeast question. I brewed this with us 04 and it was great. Any medium floc ale yeast should be fine. I have hear people use Nottingham, English, or even Irish ale yeast with great results. I like white labs and fermentis, rarely (twice or so) have I used wyeast. Just personal preferences...

Just lit the flame under my strike water for a 2.5 gal batch. Using US-05 and see how it goes. Got BM's Black Pearl Porter in the primary now, I think this should compliment it well!

I am going to brew this tomorrow. I will be doing a yeast starter 1st time. Thought I was going to do an extract recipe, but changed my mind, last minutes. 5# DME, 2# wheat DME, 2# Maris Otter. A bit higher ABV, hope it turns out as good as the original. :mug:

I have never had a "stuck" fermentation until now. I have never had a beer finish in the 20's let alone high 20's. Day 7 i tried to rouse the yeast a bit and warm it to 64-65f Day 7-14 gravity went from 1.030-1.029. Day 14 added Burton Union dry yeast. Now day 21 my gravity is 1.028. Question, should I crash it and get on with it? Or do something else. I have used this yeast before with good results (Denny's Fav). But my starter seemed a bit lackluster, only 2nd starter. I actually thought I mashed a bit too low.

Wouldn't mashing low cause a more fermentable wort and at least theoretically cause you to have a lower final gravity? (assuming all else was kosher of course)

Wouldn't mashing low cause a more fermentable wort and at least theoretically cause you to have a lower final gravity? (assuming all else was kosher of course)

Exactly, that is why I am a bit stumped. I probably fermented at too low of a initial temp, 59-61F. Oh well, it still tastes good. It (gravity) has not really moved much in 2 weeks. Bottling should be OK? I have not had this situation before.

Exactly, that is why I am a bit stumped. I probably fermented at too low of a initial temp, 59-61F. Oh well, it still tastes good. It (gravity) has not really moved much in 2 weeks. Bottling should be OK? I have not had this situation before.

Did your calculations account for the gravity contribution of the lactose? I did a milk stout a while back using Hopville for my calculations. That program did not add the gravity points contributed by the lactose to the predicted FG. So the predicted FG was much lower than the actual measured gravity but the beer was done and tasted great.

Did your calculations account for the gravity contribution of the lactose? I did a milk stout a while back using Hopville for my calculations. That program did not add the gravity points contributed by the lactose to the predicted FG. So the predicted FG was much lower than the actual measured gravity but the beer was done and tasted great.

Thanks, I am going to calculate it differently see what I come up with. My main concern is bottle bombs.

Drinking at 6 months old. I heartily recommend adding a full pound of lactose. The taste is smooth and superb, but the mouthfeel is too thin. The roasty aspect is greatly subdued. It is quite good though. Glad I made it, and even more glad I waited to drink it.

I just rebrewed the extract version today with 1lb of lactose & 8oz of malto dextrine - a coworkers husband recommended that to give it more body. I got some nibs I want to add once fermentation finishes up - I guess like a dry hop...

Brewed this on 11/14 so waiting to see results still. Had to use a 3/3 amber/wheat DME split b/c that's all my LHBS has. Will report back tasting notes at bottling time.

So I brewed this batch 5 weeks ago with DennyConn's Fav 50, and I STILL hear the airlock going! Just took a reading and taste (kind of dry but that's prob because I only hit 1.050 instead of the 1.060 mark!), but I am wondering if it is normal for this yeast to STILL be chugging along? Will I EVER be able to bottle?

You can't go by the airlock. I've seen an airlock bubble on an empty bucket. Dust off your hydrometer.

I agree, you have to use the hydrometer. On the flip side of the airlock going off for so long, I have one I thought was ready to bottle because the airlock had quit bubbling for a week. Hydrometer says it's still fermenting.

I had a bottle (750 ml) that the champaign (plastic) cork got stuck. Couldn't get it out at all. So I threw it in the fridge about three months ago, after it sitting at room temp for about 8 months. I finally got aggressive with the cork. Broke it. Then thought "why didn't I just break it off?" Glad I didn't. This beer was great before, but otherworldly with a year of aging.

I want to do another batch and bourbon barrel age it (or faux barrel age it). I'll probably jump the gravity a bit, so it ends up at about 7%.

Has anyone done this with this beer?

Latest posts

Back