Decent Sawzall for a good price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are having Christmas at our place in about a month. Since we go away in the winter, but are leaving by November 1, we decided to have our holidays all at once. So we are celebrating HalloThanksMas on October 12th.

We'll trick or treat around the house, have Thanksgiving dinner, and open our Christmas presents.

I want to surprise Bob with a sawzall. He used a friend's a few months ago, and talked about how awesome it was. I never saw it, so I don't know the brand or anything. I'd like to get him one, but want to stay under $90 or so. Normally we don't even exchange gifts, but this would be from the family.

I don't even know where to start! Can you help me choose one?
Thank you!

Yoop, does Bob want corded or cordless. i would say Dewalt. i have had good luck with them ... :D ... altho they may be li'l over $90.00

I've got a DeWalt recip saw. I've cut pretty much everything with it - metal, wood, concrete. Never had one issue with it.

I'd recommend corded unless he has a need for cordless. Of course, cordless tools are convenient, but I suggest always starting with corded one first since it will always be able to get the job done. Cordless devices can't always do it. And, of course, cordless is going to be more due to the $$ lithium batteries.

I have both a corded DeWalt and a corded Makita. I have put them through the ringer for many many years and both are still going strong.

I have a Ryobi cordless, it works fine. I bought cordless years ago and only used them once in a while. In those days batteries didn't last long so it was costing me tons per use. The batteries are better these days and I have quite a few Ryobi tools.

If you go with cordless you are pretty much limited to staying with one brand for all the tools. Unless you get separate battery packs and chargers for each. But then you have to keep each separate brand charged. I have four batteries that fit all my tools, so I always have at least 2 of them charged while using the other two.

Also get at least an 18 volt Lithium-Ion tool.

Cordless DeWalt has taken a lot of abuse on fencing, steel edging jobs, still going strong. I will say it pays to have multiple batteries if using a lot, so the price gets up there.

The Milwaukee corded is still the best if doing heavier shop work, cutting thicker steel etc, and you don't need to be portable.

I'd go Dewalt or Porter Cable.

I have a Ryobi coordless, and it is a good saw, but I also find it has some issues with off branded blades.

I would have put PC on that list 10 years ago but Stanley Black and Decker has really moved the brand downward. Makes sense since they don't want to compete with Dewalt which they also own in the pro space.

If he already has cordless tools of a sufficient level (DeWalt, Makita, etc.), buying a cordless saw in that system makes sense, i.e., if he already has an 18v DeWalt drill, getting an 18v saw works really well. I've had middling luck with the low-market brands (Ryobi, etc.). My sawzall is a corded Makita and it's a great tool.

Great tool.

If he's going to be using it outside you probably want to get a battery powered one. They aren't as powerful as their corded brethren but you'd be amazed how much damage they can still do.

I don't think it has many indoor uses because of how rough it cuts. 99.9% of the cuts i've made with it are tree branches in the yard. If it were corded it'd be 100% useless. It's amazing for the task though.

I bought a set of Dewalt 20V cordless tools a few years ago on black friday. Got the drill, impact driver and recipe saw for about $300. They go on sale every year with a massive discount. I don't think $90 is going to get you there though.

I thought corded- he would use it outside, but not in inclement weather. He doesn't have any other cordless tools except for a cheap weedeater.

I see that everybody does like the DeWalt and Milwaukee, and I'll dig into those reconditioned ones posted above as well.

Thank you all!

I found a great price on the Makita- but it's confusing the way the description is in Amazon. It's 11 amp, so enough power for him. But underneath:
upload_2019-9-13_13-54-11.png

And in another place, it says something about needing batteries(?). Very confusing to a non-tool person.
upload_2019-9-13_13-55-37.png

I ordered the Dewalt- with two different packs of blades.

He'll be so surprised! Thank you all so much.

I hope he lets me use it. I have some pallets to cut up....................:)
Dewalts a solid brand, especially if you're not using it everyday on a jobsite. If you have a harbor freight, I use their pruning blades since those always get so beat up. Their great for clearing out old bushes.

I have a Milwaukee Sawzall as well as several other Milwaukee tools that are still going strong after 20 years but I also have some newer Milwaukee tools that haven't lasted any time at all. Entirely anecdotal but in my experience the quality of their newer tools is not what it used to be. Just something to consider when researching.

Dewalts a solid brand, especially if you're not using it everyday on a jobsite. If you have a harbor freight, I use their pruning blades since those always get so beat up. Their great for clearing out old bushes.

We don't have a Harbor Freight here, but then again we don't have anything here (not even a Walmart, thank goodness!). But we have one very close to our place in Florida, so thanks for the tip!

Many of the new Harbor Freight "Hercules" line of power tools look suspiciously a lot like Dewalt's, only blue instead of yellow. But the 20V lithium batteries are not interchangeable between them, despite outwardly appearing identical.

Consider choosing a Bosch. They literally last forever. DeWalt build quality can vary, depending on the tool type. Some of their tools are great, others are cheaply built depending on the intended audience for such a tool. Bosch engineers all of their tools for professional use. Their DIY-level product is Skil brand here in the states, and Bosch green in Europe, both built for weekend warriors. DeWalt also has Black & Decker for the same reason but their own line of yellow tools is a mix of pro- and DIY-level stuff.

Source: 11 years R&D experience in power tool industry.

We are having Christmas at our place in about a month. Since we go away in the winter, but are leaving by November 1, we decided to have our holidays all at once. So we are celebrating HalloThanksMas on October 12th.

We'll trick or treat around the house, have Thanksgiving dinner, and open our Christmas presents.

I want to surprise Bob with a sawzall. He used a friend's a few months ago, and talked about how awesome it was. I never saw it, so I don't know the brand or anything. I'd like to get him one, but want to stay under $90 or so. Normally we don't even exchange gifts, but this would be from the family.

I don't even know where to start! Can you help me choose one?
Thank you!
I've been a carpenter/millwright for 26 yrs. My personal (cordless) power tool brand of choice is Ridgid(Home Depot),each piece including the tool itself, batteries and charger have a separate registration for warranty. Get the 2 pack of the 4x batteries ,on sale sometimes for the same price as one.
However ,I still own the Craftsman corded sawzall I've had since new in 1995.

Sounds like its already purchased...
But what is the intended use?
And what is the expected frequency of use?

I had a ryobi 18v cordless thats 15yrs old, just died this past December. Got it in part of a set. Biggest complaint was the battery, but Li-ion has changed it significantly. However, my use was 15-30 min every few months and moderate all-day use once every couple of years. My use for it is mostly demo or tree pruning.

For me and my use: replacement will likely be either another ryobi (because I have 3 batteries) or a corded one in the $50-60 range.

It really comes down to current and anticipated future needs. If you or Bob are planning any big projects, the heavy duty ones are priceless. However, if you're like me and don't plan on using it monthly, a value model will probably be sufficient.

Consider choosing a Bosch. They literally last forever. DeWalt build quality can vary, depending on the tool type. Some of their tools are great, others are cheaply built depending on the intended audience for such a tool. Bosch engineers all of their tools for professional use. Their DIY-level product is Skil brand here in the states, and Bosch green in Europe, both built for weekend warriors. DeWalt also has Black & Decker for the same reason but their own line of yellow tools is a mix of pro- and DIY-level stuff.

Source: 11 years R&D experience in power tool industry.

I fried a Ryobi router last weekend (corded). Something inside the motor just fell apart while I was routing slots for biscuit joining. Sparks and small metal shards started shooting out the air vents. Anyway, it's my first and last Ryobi anything. (BTW I finished the job with my table router, Bosch. Just had to transfer the bit).

upload_2019-9-15_21-14-1.png

upload_2019-9-15_21-14-14.png

Last edited:
fwiw, my DeWalt DW682K plate joiner is incredibly handy for jobs that are oversized/awkward for the router table.
Highly recommended...

Cheers!

Another thumbs up for Ridgid! I have massive amounts of woodworking tools, and metalworking tools. The Ridgid guarantee is hard to beat. (Back on topic, my sawzall is a corded Ridgid)(along with my table saw and planer, and miter saw. My router table is a DIY mix of components, with a Ridgid router motor).
I also use a lot of the Milwaukee battery tools on a daily basis, another thumbs up for this brand.
Makita is OK for some stuff. I bought a Makita trim router to replace the Bosch discussed below. First choice would have been a Ridgid, but I felt the Makita had a better depth adjustment.
Bosch I'm not too impressed with, I bought one of their trim routers, kinda spendy comparatively, had switch and brush problems almost constantly.
Ryobi is a non-starter in my shop, the only Ryobi tool I own right now is a tile saw, purchased for a low price. It does the job, but the crappy fence adjustment and small table size are a constant headache.
One name I didn't see mentioned in the above replies is Porter Cable/Delta, another solid brand. I use their circular saw, dovetail jigs, and have 3 of their 800 series routers. Another thumbs up!

Last edited:
I LOVE my DeWalt cordless drill. It's nothing too special, but just goes and goes with zero problems. I'd even drilled rebar in concrete with it! I think he will like it.

If he doesn't have an oscillating multitool, I find they are the next best thing to a Dremel!

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Power-Tools-Power-Multi-Tools-Oscillating-Tools/N-5yc1vZc2b2

Great for sanding, cutting different kinds of materials, flush cuts, etc. I don't know how much you guys do your own home repairs, but I use mine often.

Back