Decapitated Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This happened a while ago, but thought I'd share with you all.

I actually forgot which beer this was, but there was some insane amounts of krausen to begin with. I thought, oh I'll check on it in the morning and attach a blow-off tube if need be... Too little too late. There was no airlock to be found, krausen running down the sides of my carboy, and some strange stains on my ceiling. I found the airlock split in half under the table - there was so much pressure it rocketed the airlock into the ceiling!!!

Would be a fun experiment to put a super high gravity brew outside, pitch a monstrous starter, and see how high the airlock goes, model rocket style. Hah.

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

I can't believe it broke the airlock before it popped the bung out. That is CRAZY!

Yeah I think what happened was, there was so much krausen that got lodged in the airlock and around the bung, that it formed a solid caked seal, so it couldn't just pop out.

Back