Decant 48 hour Sach/brett Starter?? The Yeast Bay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
I was short for time, and made a starter with the Yeast Bay Funktown blend. 2 litres, 24 hours on stir plate, 24 hours sitting at 67 deg. Didn't cold crash as I didn't want to slow/stall the brett growth.

Since it wasn't cold crashed, I'm worried that decanting will get rid of all the yeast I worked to make. It looks the same as cold crashed, but I won't be able to tell if the yeast will actually stay down until I start to decant if I do..

5 litre batch. What do you think.

Cheers

If I start to decant and see the yeast trub on the bottom going with it, I guess I'll stop.

If I see it staying pretty stationary though, keep decanting? I'm not super knowledgeable on starters, and how much yeast I'm actually dumping (judge by the eye?)

Cheers

And is my starter still considered "active" after 24 hours on stir plate and 24 hours sitting? (48 total)

I'd be worried about decanting while still active. If it's done though, will likely try to decant some.

Back