Dear LHBS Owner (venting)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giono2

Reaction score
Dear Local Home Brew Store Owner,

I have been brewing now for four years, and have been coming to your store that whole time. I have noticed in that time that your business has really declined. I want to continue to give you my business, but you are making it difficult. Let me offer you a few of my observations.

In the four years I have been visiting your store I have only seen you there twice. The people you have working, while very polite and helpful, aren't necessarily experienced home brewers. Yet, they are the only people you have chosen to leave in charge.

In addition to the people you have chosen to leave in charge, your store is just plain wack. I don't expect the Taj Majal; but sagging, brown, wet drop ceiling tiles. Are you serious? And lets just agree that you need to be up on your tetanus shots just to reach into the hop cooler.

One more thing. Your prices are horrible. I don't expect internet pricing, I certainly expect to pay a little higher price for these things locally; but two to three times as much? It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I feel like I'm being ripped off.

As a business owner myself I would like to make a few suggestions. Take some pride in the place and clean it up. I'm not talking a total remodel, just a mop and bucket and a few ceiling tiles. Then get some people in who have brewing interests -- better yet, be there yourself. It's disheartening when your employee is shocked to hear there is brewing software out there that prints an ingredient list.

Finally, do some promoting. Your parking lot is easily eight times the size of your store and fronts two major local streets. Why aren't you brewing out there every weekend? Let people see what the hobby is about, let them stir the kettle and get them hooked. Then tell them "come by in a few weeks and taste the beer you helped make". You'd kill 'em -- and you could use the increased volume to lower the prices a little bit.

Good luck to you in the future, I truly hope you succeed.

I would do just that. I would stop by after they're closed, tape it to the door, and come back a couple weeks later to see if there are any changes.

If the boss never show up, then more than likely the employee who opens up for him will just crush it into a ball and drop it at his feet on his way in.

Tie it to a brick and chuck it through the window! He's bound to see it then!

I guess you'd have to add "The broken window in the front of the store brings in an unwelcome draft in the wintertime." to your list of complaints before you "send" it to him.

Very good letter. I would also suggest mailing it. Though dropping thousands of copies over the building from a plane or zeppelin would also be good.

This just makes me glad my LHBS is family run, and everyone in the family brews. I'm glad you're being honest and want to support them, so hopefully they'll take it to heart. If not, well, BMW's been good to me...

Tie it to a brick and chuck it through the window! He's bound to see it then!

I guess you'd have to add "The broken window in the front of the store brings in an unwelcome draft in the wintertime." to your list of complaints before you "send" it to him.
That's sweet!

Write "Attenion Owner, Important Lease Contract Changes. Urgent Response Requested". Then your opening line may read something,

Dear Owner,
RDWHAHB, This is not an Lease Contract Letter. I just wanted to make sure it got to your attention. If you do not know what the RDWHAHB means, then this letter is even more important than I thought.

Then proceed with the original letter.

This just makes me glad my LHBS is family run, and everyone in the family brews. I'm glad you're being honest and want to support them, so hopefully they'll take it to heart. If not, well, BMW's been good to me...

When I read this, it reminded me of Niagara Tradition. Then I looked and saw the post came from Buffalo. That was a great store, and I miss it very much. There are some good stores here in NC, but nowhere near as good as NT. A good LHBS is a great thing to have, and sometimes hard to find. Hopefully the OP makes some headway with his. Good luck!

I also hopes he changes and makes his store better. My LHBS was a tremendous amount of help to me and my brewing in the beginning, and I continue to support them b/c of that. Although I buy my main hops in bulk online, I still go to the LHBS to crush and buy my grain, yeast I don't have harvested, and specialty hops I don't keep around. Those trips always turn into great conversation too.

I prefer it when my LHBS owner isn't there. The people he gets to help don't necessarily know brewing, but they sure are a helluva lot nicer.

Only slightly related, but...

When I made my first batch of beer, I went to a homebrew shop two states away in my parents' town because the local pickens were pretty sparse. I've been back a couple of times, but their prices are close to double what any major catalog/internet retailer charges. Clean store, helpful people, but golly I can't afford that!

So for the past year I've been mail-ordering almost everything.

Now imagine my surprise when I find a LHBS that's only 30-40 minutes away (Annapolis Homebrew, BTW). By "find," I mean off the highway, behind not one but two shopping centers and darn near in the woods. "Parking lot" is all cracked and broken, the place looks pretty shabby from the outside. Inside is one dude and racks of equipment. Dimly lit, but holy sh*t, what a homebrew shop!

Owner greets you at the door, "Hi, welcome to... we have XXX and XXX on tap, would you like one?" I'm like, "Well, hell yeah!" :mug:

Prices are reasonable (5-10% over catalog prices, but since I don't have to pay shipping...), staff is friendly and knowledgable and yeah it's a little off the beaten path, but who really cares? This place rocks. Yeah, it's a little shabby-looking, but a good attitude, great service and very reasonable prices more than make up for it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you're certainly right about making the place look pretty good, but just that you can overcome a low-rent storefront if you have a solid business.

We have two LHBS here, and the one is absolutely fantastic when it comes to the customers, selection is good-to-great and prices are comparable to online in most area.

The other (which I have not been to yet) has a ton of selection but the lacks the attention the customers and is only open two days a week *shrug*.

WOW, im so happy to have my LHBS, didnt know some were so bad. Usually people that open up HBS do it because they want to, not because they have to. There are few times that I have been into my LHBS when the owner (and VERY knowledgeable man about brewing) has not been there. I hope your note gets to the place it needs to go because having a resource like that can be soooo helpful. I definitely think you should mail it to him.

On another note, if you need advice on home brewing thats what HBT is for, :D. Hope your LHBS gets betting with the coming months.

When I read this, it reminded me of Niagara Tradition. Then I looked and saw the post came from Buffalo. That was a great store, and I miss it very much. There are some good stores here in NC, but nowhere near as good as NT. A good LHBS is a great thing to have, and sometimes hard to find. Hopefully the OP makes some headway with his. Good luck!

I take every opportunity I can to pimp Niagara Tradition. I'm beginning to realize how spoiled and lucky I am to be five minutes away from that store. Awesome people.

I was just reading thru this tread thinking how nice great my LHBS is. Good selection and prices and the owner is always there. Only improvement would be open more hours.
As I am sitting here an email came in from that shop, and although quite lengthy like this post is getting I thought I would share...

Hey Yall Awesome Folks,
Here's a shout concerning the Fest this year.
Weve got lots of goodies in store for everyone on the Tenth
Anniversary of Liberty Fest (henceforth known as LFX)
First lets start with the near and dear to me, the brew;
There's an IPA for the hopheads out there, A mild Dunkelwiss and
some other locally brewed guest taps. Also the Beer Engine will be in
effect for the cask traditionalists out there. Many kegs are on the
ready so there should be no shortage.
In addition to the boozy bubbly, What Cheer Root Beer will be
manning the soda jerk . Pouring good ol floats for the young'ns and
young at hearts.
On to the vittles, LFX has gone whole hog, Or should I say whole
hogs. Thats right we'll be spit roasting TWO pigs AND a goat! Not to
worry veggie peeps, plenty of noncarnivours fare will be available.
And now to the star of the show, the bands,
The Line up looks like this ( in no order)
Valu-Pak
Vibe Police
The Blizzard of 78
DEM
Triangle Forest
The Butchering
White Mice
Slave
Orb Melon (CT)
Caroline Hecht
Chris Rosenquest
Brokedown Serenade
Brown Bird Rudy Relic (NYC)
Pet Set (PA)
Industrial Sonic Echo
The Atlantic Thrills
Idiot Vehicle
Glass and Steel
Chris Hansen
Llove
The Viennagram
The Stress
Midnite Mongo Sound System will be turning out the jams, so bring yr
dancin' shoes.
About the stages, one is an acoustic stage in the alaskan lean-to, So
bring yr hollow axe, zoob tube, rain-sticks, whatever it takes to get
your jam on.
Topping things off there will be a moon bounce, face painting, barley
balls (an east cost take on corn hole) and other super fun ways of
expressing our community sovereignty.
Sounds like good times, eh?
As always the fest is a totally free event, but the beer and pigs
dont make themselves, well I guess the pigs do, but you get what Im
saying. Potluck and donations are hardily appreciated.
Also this is a DAY event running Noon-10pm. So unless your a VIP,
aka. cleanup crew, 10 pm is time to get yr after party in effect.
LFX is located in the Beer Garden behind Basement BrewHaus

***DUE TO THE PARTYING NATURE OF LFX, BASEMENT BREWHAUS WILL BE
CLOSED FOR BUSINESS***

wow, that stinks. And to think i get annoyed at my LHBS because they are to nice, knowledgable and helpful to almost overkill. What I mean by this is this:

I need corn sugar, or maybe just a vial of yeast becuase i forgot it last trip, so I will 'pop in real quick' and grab them and be on my way. Problem is the 2 guys working the store will ignore you standing at the register while they go on lengthy 20 min discources on this or that grain with someone they were helping when you walked in 10 min ago, or how to choose a yeast or what ever while you just stand there. They are super helpful, but there are times i get fed up and just leave my stuff there and go.

Now I can appreciate giving all your attention to the customer your helping, but to just ignore other customers piling up at the register is annoying, especially when they are just holding one small item... This isn't a one time thing, and more than once when i walked out the person behind me did as well, both of us grumbling about waiting forever for something simple and how it happens more than it should.

So i have started to order more and more online, i just don't have time to waste an hour to pick up bottle caps, or some other random stuff. It is hard to say that because the 2 guys there do rock once you have their attention or your the only person in the store, they just need to learn to be more efficient at chekcing out people that standing at the register instead of explaining every last nuance to blow tubes to someone who is going to brew wine for the first time anyway...

Guess that isn't much to complain about, staff is too helpful and attentive. Other than that sometimes the variety isn't there, as they don't stock everything, but they are good at finding substitutes, the place is clean (spotless actually) and ingredients are always fresh. Heck if you buy a brew kit, they cut it open and give you fresher, better dry yeast to ensure you get a good result, now that is nice service. Oh the store is What Ale's Ya in Glendale, AZ if your curious.

Modern Homebrew in Cambridge
Beer-Wine in Woburn

Both would be well served by 100% staff/ownership turnover.

I've been to Modern Homebrew a few times. It's a PIA to get there for me, and the times that I've gone there, only once the person working knew what I was talking about. I won't be going back.

I've never been to Beer-Wine, so I can't say anything about them.

I need corn sugar, or maybe just a vial of yeast becuase i forgot it last trip, so I will 'pop in real quick' and grab them and be on my way. Problem is the 2 guys working the store will ignore you standing at the register while they go on lengthy 20 min discources on this or that grain with someone they were helping when you walked in 10 min ago, or how to choose a yeast or what ever while you just stand there. They are super helpful, but there are times i get fed up and just leave my stuff there and go.

I feel your pain. It is a royal pain to drive 30 minutes to get a vial of yeast only to wait 20 minutes to pay for. Next time, I'll have 7 dollars exact change so I can leave it on the counter and walk out.

I think a fast checkout (as in pay and go, no questions) is necessary during peak hours, like lunch time.

My LHBS closed up 2 days after I bought my first stuff from him...the guy mentioned nothing about closing (if he would have I probably would have purchased more) and was kind of an ******* all around. I'm glad there are so many fine retailers online, otherwise I would be SOL.

Don't know what it's like to have a local homebrew store. The closest thing we have is shelves & racks of ingredients in the corner of a big liquor superstore. No telling how old any of the stuff is.....but it's nice to have there in a pinch, when you've forgotten to order hops online. Given our situation, I'm just grateful for places like Midwest and Austin.

wow, that stinks. And to think i get annoyed at my LHBS because they are to nice, knowledgable and helpful to almost overkill. What I mean by this is this:

Now I can appreciate giving all your attention to the customer your helping, but to just ignore other customers piling up at the register is annoying, especially when they are just holding one small item... This isn't a one time thing, and more than once when i walked out the person behind me did as well, both of us grumbling about waiting forever for something simple and how it happens more than it should.

So i have started to order more and more online, i just don't have time to waste an hour to pick up bottle caps, or some other random stuff. It is hard to say that because the 2 guys there do rock once you have their attention or your the only person in the store, they just need to learn to be more efficient at chekcing out people that standing at the register instead of explaining every last nuance to blow tubes to someone who is going to brew wine for the first time anyway...

Guess that isn't much to complain about, staff is too helpful and attentive. Other than that sometimes the variety isn't there, as they don't stock everything, but they are good at finding substitutes, the place is clean (spotless actually) and ingredients are always fresh. Heck if you buy a brew kit, they cut it open and give you fresher, better dry yeast to ensure you get a good result, now that is nice service. Oh the store is What Ale's Ya in Glendale, AZ if your curious.

I usually order online, but I go to the same place when I need something small... I usually go late in the day, and the only one ever there is the owner. He is nice, very knowledgeable, but I could see how you could end up stuck waiting. I think most people go to these small shops to chat, get advice, etc... not just pick up something and run.

I think part of this comes down to the customer.. they should have enough sense to say "hey, ring this guy up since we are just bull****ting over here"!

Very good letter. I would also suggest mailing it. Though dropping thousands of copies over the building from a plane or zeppelin would also be good.

Zeppelins! Brilliant!

T045991A.jpg

Maybe I didn't see it posted above, but does your LHBS not have a website that you could email them? Then follow up with a phone call? My owner of my LHBS answers all the emails from his shop, and he is a really nice guy, he recognizes you every time you step in his store. I would suggest this order; email, letter, phone call, face to face. If you go face to face, bring the brick! :ban:

Don't know what it's like to have a local homebrew store. The closest thing we have is shelves & racks of ingredients in the corner of a big liquor superstore. No telling how old any of the stuff is.....but it's nice to have there in a pinch, when you've forgotten to order hops online. Given our situation, I'm just grateful for places like Midwest and Austin.

Bloomington?
That's one hell of a beer store though.
(Yes, I'm the guy that always raids the Alpha Kings)

Hi all, back from the far north woods of Wisconsin. Some really good stuff in here. I really do get down when i hear how good some of you guys out there have it. I'm still not sure if I'll actually send the letter or not, I don't know if it really worth it. I'll keep you posted.

I've been to Modern Homebrew a few times. It's a PIA to get there for me, and the times that I've gone there, only once the person working knew what I was talking about. I won't be going back.

I've never been to Beer-Wine, so I can't say anything about them.

The entire city of Cambridge is a PITA to get to!
I wouldn't waste a trip to Beer-Wine unless you are absolutely desperate. The staff is generally surly and frequently clueless.

I wants me a zeppelin. Just so my wife and I can dress in Great War era clothing and swan about. :D

Wonder where I can get that much hydrogen...

Helium is safer. :D The only reason the Germans were using hydrogen in the Hindenberg is the USA had all the helium and wasn't selling.

I take every opportunity I can to pimp Niagara Tradition. I'm beginning to realize how spoiled and lucky I am to be five minutes away from that store. Awesome people.
+1 - The staff there are very friendly and are definitely passionate about brewing. They are also extremely helpful to newbie brewers like myself :)

The entire city of Cambridge is a PITA to get to!
I wouldn't waste a trip to Beer-Wine unless you are absolutely desperate. The staff is generally surly and frequently clueless.

If I'm ever up that way, I may stop in to check it out, but I have no need to trek all the way up there for anything.

You're right about Cambridge being a PITA to get to, and, it's a PITA to get around in once you're there.

If you're ever down south, The Witches Brew in Foxboro is a good place to go to. I've heard that there are some things they can't get, but I haven't had any problems yet.

Back