Dead yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simzy

Reaction score
I cooled the wort to 80 degrees within 30 minutes, pitched the yeast, and after 3 days with room temps being around 72 degrees, I have yet to hear any bubbles:confused: . Unless my fermentation happened overnight, I think I have some bad yeast. I've cracked open the lid to take a peek, and see hop residue along the sides of the bucket, but no krausen.

The earliest time I could make it to the brew shop to get some more yeast would be tomorrow afternoon. Should I even bother with pitching more yeast, or is my brew ruined from sitting too long? Obviously I could get a hydrometer, but won't have an OG to compare my reading to. I've learned a couple lessons...always keep extra yeast in the fridge for back up, and invest in a hydrometer. All input would be greatly appriciated.

I'd give it a few more days. Some yeast takes a while to get started. Most likely everythings OK.

What kind of yeast did you use, by the way? And what kind of brew were you creating?

I am guessing that u r fermenting in a bucket, since u mentioned cracking open a lid - did u check to see if the lid was on with a tight seal or if there was any pressure, maybe its just slow. THen again no kraussen can't be a very good sign, but I am a complete noob so I don't really know my stuff (only just started my first batch ever yesterday). Maybe someone more experienced can back me up or give their advice.

Hope that helped a little bit...

Edit: really you should probably just RHAHB(I beleive that's what u guys say here)

you're lid may not have been completely sealed. If you have residue on the sides above the liquid, the krausen may have already subsided. Did you do a kit? Do the instructions have a target OG? Tomorrow get a hydrometer, a backup packet, then take a reading.

Are the hop residues up the sides of the bucket above the level of the wort? If they are, guess what, you made beer! Some fermentations go really quickly I've heard of less than 24 hours and I have personally had them finish in less than 36. Of course it's not totally done at this point, but a large part of the primary is out of the way. As for having no bubbles, chances are the gas is getting out of the bucket elsewhere - this is fairly common.
Give it a few more days and rack to secondary, you're probably fine.

:mug:

I have a question. I made a brown ale simular situation,but stated to ferment after 48 hours. I have a good kraussen but it appears to have slowed down alot.
start was 1.005 and now it is 1.004. I never saw any rapid fermation but it was going. Should I let it keep going or add more yeast.

You're beer sounds done! If you have a hydrometer, check and see if it has fermented. My first batch was absolutely silent- it turns out that my lid was closed but not completely sealed. It was perfect- and the addiction was born.

Goat- I don't understand your question. Your s.g. couldn't have been 1.005, maybe 1.050? And what is it now? I'll be able to answer if I can know exactly what you're saying. (I"m tired after work, and only had one beer so far! :)

I am not that technical I believe it was 1.055 and now I believe it is 1.040. It did not move much but it has only been 2 days and it seems like the fermentation almost stopped. This has never happened to me before? Let me know what you think?

Goat- is there anything going on at all? You say you have krausen, so that's a good sign. If you still have signs of fermentation, I say keep it going. Check the s.g. again in a few days, and see if it's moved. If it's still fermenting, just let it be.

If it's stuck, that's something else. If after a couple of days it's still at 1.040, then I'd repitch. But give it a while to see if it's going to go on it's own. Keep it at a nice and steady temperature (68 degrees), and that'll help it along.

Lorena

This is why you should have a hydrometer: to check the final gravity. People get worried about the OG (which doesn't really matter much), but the ONLY way to know a ferment is done is to check the gravity three days in a row.

Overnight ferments do happen. CO2 leaks around lids. If there is hop residue on the sides, you had a krausen & it has fallen. So, get a hydrometer and check.

The bucket seems to be shut tight and sealed, and the hops on the side of the bucket are above the level of the wort, so hopefully that is a good sign that there was a quick fermentation and the krausen has come and gone.

This experience was just the opposite of my first, where my airlock bubbled constantly for a bout 6 days. I just have a hard time believing the fermentation happened over the period of one night. But like you all have said maybe there is a leak somewhere and I'm just not catching it.

I used a Brewers Best English Nut Brown Ale kit and it came with munton's dry yeast, 60L crystal malt3.3 lbs amber LME and 2 lbs amber DME. I added a pound of rice syrup solids, and 4oz each of choclolate and victory malts. Thanks for all of the replys as usual.

I was able to get my hands on a hydrometer a little sooner than expected, and found the SG to be 1.020. The target OG for the recipe was 1.040-1.048. So, I guess I have good yeast, and I'm making some beer wooohoooo!!!! Thanks again for all the help.

Back