Dead yeast ? cant tell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelred

Reaction score
Hi finally got round to doing my first brew and I may have dead / likked my yeast. I used an oktoberfest kit, heres my actions as per instructions on the tin...
had sugar ,,dextrose? (brewers sugar anyway) mixed with hot water in a pot / while mixing the dextorse I had the beer mix standing in hot water...
had my bucket half filled with cold spring water. mixed beer mix in to pot containing sugars off the heat. added this to the bucket followed by rest of the water needed ( all sprng water used from the bottle) . gave a good stir. then added in yeast ( didnt rehydrate it or take temp readings !! oops I think). let sit for 5 mins then stired in agian and pu in a dark place to rest. I chcked it twice over the last 3 days cant really see in to tell if bullbes ( no airlock ). Is there any way to tell if its fermenting cant see any foam etc...also what are my options for a restart if it does turn out to be dead...I was thinking of waiting a week then taste from the tap..if ok like beer then bottle if not go to plan B which is what im looking for in a long roundabout way.......either way I dont want to throw it out and will be trying again immediatly if this is written off...so any pointers appreciated....

No gravity, no airlock, no krausen, don't know the temperature... Brewing beer isn't rocket science, but I think you are pushing the limits of not paying attention to what you're doing.

Short of pitching more yeast and crossing your fingers.

I followed the "idiot proof " instructions... think i managed to break them.....I have a thermometer....didnt think of it at the time excitement got the better of me... what temp should i pitch at ?

I think the high heat probably killed your yeast. What are you using as your primary?

Being a newbie brewer myself, I can understand the excitement in brewing but you have to relaxe and take things slow. One thing I've learned with brewing is patience. You need Patience with almost *every* aspect of brewing.

I hope you Sanitized everything :)

That's one of the reasons I use liquid yeast, no hassel, no ?'s. You smack the balloon inside the package and you know it's active and ready to use when it balloons. Pitch at around 75c degrees and it works every time.

thanks for the feedback.. definitly sanitized everything ...thats one thing i did go overboard on anyway...I have another pack of yeast and will give it a go ..I will try rehydrate it first to make sure its ok...
Is it as simple as rehydrate yeast and throw it in.. ?

Back